Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Dynamic content and google ranking

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Dynamic content and google ranking
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Short question: is google able to correctly read dynamically created pages?

Long version:
I recently signed to google's banner ring (AdSense); as some may know google banners try to understand what the site is about to show appropriate ads. In the letter i received from google it said that reading the site would have been much more complex if dynamic content was present. This made me think of google ranking in general: is google able to read my site?

I'm asking because, while my previous, plain html, site was reachable by google after a couple of weeks, my new one seems unexistent in google's database. Even specific searches don't give up anything.

The whole site is contained in one unique php script that gives the page it's basic frame and then it includes (using the include() function) the requested content. Nearly all the contents in the site are reachable with http://inf1.altervista.org/index.php?page=a_page

It this bad? Should i change the structure to have for each page a different php file?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

short answer: yes
I think that Google just follows the links on your page and read the (dynamically) created content.
Whether they list your page in their database or not, depends on how many pages link to your new site.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

The client (google included, I'm sure) does not differentiate from dynamically generated pages and static plain-jane html pages. PHP is entirely handled on the server itself.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Yeah, that's what I always thought (knew). I made a site for someone using PHP and they complained that "Google stops at the question marks!" Where do they get this stuff? ???

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yes, that is what i always thought but i'm quite sure i read something about google having difficulties in reading dynamically generated pages :-/

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I could see it having minor problems with certain types of tags. For example, session id's. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Allegro.cc is dynamically generated, it can be searched on google. :)
So can most other forums, 99% of which are made up of dynamic content.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Derezo said:

Allegro.cc is dynamically generated, it can be searched on google.

Yes, but for each page it has a different link... my site is (not for long) only one php page which loads different content.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

That's still similar to allegro.cc's setup.
These are considered to be completely different pages to the client (again, google included ;D):

www.mywebsite.com/index.php
www.mywebsite.com/index.php?page=home
www.mywebsite.com/index.php?page=games
www.mywebsite.com/index.php?page=forum

If each of these pages has links to page=home, page=games and page=forum, google will search through them perfectly fine and exactly the same as if they had been home.html, games.html and forum.html. :)

Google gets it's information through web links and a link to index.php?section=home is considered different than index.php?section=games

[edit: I made it needlessly more complicated]

Go to: