Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is DOS dead?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is DOS dead?
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Does anybody in here use DOS (not an M$ dos box or dosemu) regularly? I like it because I can use all my 128 megs phys mem for editing 4000x4000 ground textures etc., also for speed testing with rdtsc, stuff like that. Not to mention old games like Duke Nukem 3D. Or is windows 2000 the common "low end"? Just curious...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I have always a command prompt open running wget. Also, I always compile with command line. Plus I got the full GNUWin32 package, so I run scripts very often.

DOS is really helpful for me.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

Yes, it is. No, I don't. Oh, that wasn't very helpful answer was it? Sorry. I should go to bed now.

Edit: RB: He specifically said "not a dos box".

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

But he wasnt asking about that, Rey :P

Quote:

(not an M$ dos box or dosemu)

;)

Anyway, I dont use dos much anymore. I was using it for some gba->pc communication and basic linux on a gba a little while ago. I wired a UART in to a gba link cable, and had it hooked to my pc. Timing had to be perfect, so i needed a uni-task system that i could have absolute timing on. Dos was the answer (well, i didnt feel like finidng my dos 6.22 disks, so i used freedos, and made a custom live cd to use in my laptop)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

In the personal computer market, it's pretty much as dead as can be. Some embedded systems still use it for its stability.

Quote:

I have always a command prompt open running wget

That's not DOS. It's just a DOS-like shell Windows provides for you.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Yeah, yeah, realized. I use DOS as an application platform, not as an OS.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

heh we all posted that at the same time :P

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

DOS will live on forever in my heart. It cannot die!

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

DOS is greatness...too bad I no longer have a windows 9x on my computer...
I got so used to DOS back when windows 95/98 would crash...you could fix it all back up in DOS! But in XP...I don't know...I really can't do much.

One thing I really regret doing was using NTFS when installing XP! :P From now on, at least, DOS can live on for me through the FAT32 filesystem and old Windows 98 boot disks!
(But I haven't the time, the CD or the "rights" to install XP again...damn WPA!)

I haven't had a total system failure where I had to pop in my Knoppix Linux LiveCD or my DamnSmallLinux CD...but I suppose they would help, too!

At least "SafeMode" in windows XP is better than in 98...::)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

X-G said:

Some embedded systems still use it for its stability.

Also, it's used quite a lot in various industrial systems.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I don't, but I wish it were feasible. I have an old P133 stored away that I plan to set up--using DOS, of course--when I get my own place.

I was talking with a store owner today, and he uses DOS on all his computers at work. That made me happy for some reason.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I haven't actually used straight DOS in many years for anything practical.

I would say DOS is dead, in a sense that I could not see it advancing anywhere. It is still used for basic computing, but there is no more room for development.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

In my old school there are still some machines using MS-DOS. Few students know how to use it, though.

-R

Corelian
Member #3,376
March 2003

I have an old machine which runs MS-DOS 6.22. I use it as my retro gaming platform and sometimes for programming. DOSBox is a great program, but some games are just too slow with it.

Too bad I don't have too much spare time at the moment, but sometimes it's just great to fire up X-Com or Pirates Gold and play all day.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I used DOS cojoinedly with Linux to setup my Windows partitition over the weekend. Ok, so Windows decided to do things differently than I had intended...
For the most part, I don't use it anymore though: whenever I think of the things I like about DOS and remove the things I don't like about it, the result adds up to UNIX...

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

DOS is very dead indeed. It has been for many years.

Quote:

DOS is greatness...

No, DOS is a horrendous sub-operating system that held personal computing back several years. If youreally need evidence then ask yourself why all of the DOS/Amiga golden era games (by which I'm thinking of Flashback, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Wolfenstein 3d, Prince of Persia) were limited to VGA 320x200 resolution whereas at the same time the Mac ports were all at 640x400 or 640x480. Ask yourself why Creative Labs had a monopoly over the sound card market for so many reasons. Ask yourself why there were some games you ended up trying to configure for longer than you bothered playing.

DOS nostalgia is ill informed and not based upon any sort of realistic evaluation.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

If youreally need evidence then ask yourself why all of the DOS/Amiga golden era games ... were limited to VGA 320x200 resolution whereas at the same time the Mac ports were all at 640x400 or 640x480.

Because Windows came around the time VESA attempted to take off. And if you'll notice, many Windows games had compatibility and speed problems until DirectX caught hold.

Quote:

Ask yourself why Creative Labs had a monopoly over the sound card market for so many reasons.

Because back then they were good (and open about how their hardware worked), so other companies tried to emulate it. It's the same reason IBM was so popular with non-Mac consumer PCs at first, until others started doing better.

Quote:

Ask yourself why there were some games you ended up trying to configure for longer than you bothered playing.

Because there was almost nothing between you and the hardware. The games needed as much speed as they could get and couldn't deal with wrapper APIs very well.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Because Windows came around the time VESA attempted to take off. And if you'll notice, many Windows games had compatibility and speed problems until DirectX caught hold.

Agreed. DOS had no meaningful hardware driver support at any time (with the possible exception of those block drivers for volume access).

Quote:

Because back then they were good (and open about how their hardware worked), so other companies tried to emulate it. It's the same reason IBM was so popular with non-Mac consumer PCs at first, until others started doing better.

I think the Amiga was the first popular consumer PC but then I guess it depends how you define PC. I'm thinking more or less of a range of machines with a range of capabilities based around a common processor family. But not exactly that because I'd describe all Macs as a single family despite having moved to an entirely different processor architecture at one point.

But again you essentially agree my point. Creative Labs maintained a stronghold because DOS had no real hardware support for anything and so users had to buy things based on what registers they wanted to be where in memory rather than the more real world concerns of what sound quality they wanted, etc.

Quote:

Because there was almost nothing between you and the hardware. The games needed as much speed as they could get and couldn't deal with wrapper APIs very well.

Well, apparently not since the more or less equivalently fast contemporaneous Macs can run the games with four or more times the number of pixels. In any case you're approaching the problem from the wrong angle. If games need all the speed they can get then it should be blatantly obvious that they should utilise all installed hardware to the fullest. DOS hindered this.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

If games need all the speed they can get then it should be blatantly obvious that they should utilise all installed hardware to the fullest. DOS hindered this.

More like the PC architecture limits this. The IBM-PC was suboptimal for multimedia unlike the Mac or Amiga. It wasn't until PCI and AGP (and now PCI-Express) that allowed for better multimedia.

Windows had the same problem, until DirectX came around. It's a hardware driver issue, not an OS issue.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Windows had the same problem, until DirectX came around. It's a hardware driver issue, not an OS issue.

Yes, there is definitely no way that an OS that doesn't support hardware drivers could compound a hardware driver issue.

In any case your theory is off. DirectX is really only useful for Pentium machines. The 486 had the vesa local bus which ran at the same clock rate as the CPU and the 386 had both the MCA and EISA buses. You can argue chicken and egg all day if you like but the fact is that a limiting OS is going to limit development to at least some extent.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Yes, there is definitely no way that an OS that doesn't support hardware drivers could compound a hardware driver issue.

DOS is capable of having hardware drivers, isn't it? Just because it doesn't have (m)any doesn't mean it's a fault of the OS.

--

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

DOS is capable of having hardware drivers, isn't it?

I was under the impression that it was possible to provide new code for running file access, character screen output and I will assume keyboard input, in line with MS DOS not originally being IBM PC specific but also being available for some other 8086 machines in a predictably CP/M fashion. However I understood that it was not possible to write anything recognisable as a driver for any other piece of hardware. So, for example, the VGA adapter doesn't have a driver but a BIOS extension allows several video modes to be set. At that point the VGA adapter starts occupying a certain region of memory but because DOS is real mode and doesn't do any meaningful memory management both the card and the program just have to assume they know where that region is.

That doesn't sound too bad, but then SVGA comes along. The amount of memory that needs to be displayed is about the same or larger than the total memory DOS knows about anyway (being a quickly thrown together real mode hack) so the only real solution is paging. This is an example of DOS introducing a performance hit rather than a benefit due to its archaic architecture.

Obviously there is no generic defined way for that sort of communication so all card vendors go and invent their own way. All programmers have to handle all the possibilities for a few years until the VESA BIOS extensions are agreed. For the overwhelming period in which they remain popular and useful they also remain stranded in real mode. As soon as programs switch to protected mode (which isn't using DOS but simply ejecting it from memory) they now have the overhead of a switch to real mode as well as a page request whenever they want to switch which region of the screen they are drawing to. This, again, is DOS inhibiting programs.

Conversely some genuinely quite good operating systems such as OS/2 (before it was graphical and Presentation Manager based) jump up that run much better on the same hardware. Original OS/2 is a 32bit protected mode console based operating system with a DLL framework that includes full DOS compatibility using virtual 8086 machines - running all DOS programs at the same speed as the same hardware did under DOS for at least the eight or so years until DOS extenders became the norm. Naturally these are ignored due in part to the usual Microsoft anti-competitive practices. And yet still people somehow see DOS as a good system.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

All programmers have to handle all the possibilities for a few years until the VESA BIOS extensions are agreed. For the overwhelming period in which they remain popular and useful they also remain stranded in real mode.

VESA 2 and 3 operated in protected mode. VESA 1.2 also operated in protected mode (but needed to switch back to real to make BIOS calls, incurring a penalty).

--

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Yes, I know that - hence the "overwhelming period" clause. To directly quote wikipedia on the subject:

Quote:

Unfortunately, the older versions of VBE (those bundled with the vast majority of existing video boards) supported only a real mode interface, which couldn't be used without a significant performance penalty from within protected mode operating systems, such as Windows 95 or Linux. This meant that the VBE standard was almost never used for writing video-drivers, and each video board vendor had to invent a proprietary protocol for communicating with their own board(s). Moreover, VBE does not include tools to control display refresh rate to prevent flicker, a severe problem at high resolutions.

I place reliance on the first thirty five words. I submit that a protected mode DOS extender is equivalent to a genuine protected mode operating system for these performance reasons.

Quote:

(but needed to switch back to real to make BIOS calls, incurring a penalty)

One such BIOS call being "page in different video memory", i.e. the programmer had to do this five times a frame if the entire display was to be redrawn at the most common 640x480 8bpp resolution.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Unfortunately, the older versions of VBE (those bundled with the vast majority of existing video boards) supported only a real mode interface, which couldn't be used without a significant performance penalty from within protected mode operating systems

Which is why UniVESA/SciTech Display Doctor had really any life to it. "Your card support only VESA 1.2 or lower (if at all)? Just run this and it'll support VESA 2 or 3!" Of course, you needed interface drivers written for it, but that's exactly what a driver's purpose is. Nobody (hw manufacturers) really wanted to support VESA 2 or 3 because A) they could let UniVESA figure it out, and B) DirectX was "the future".

Which I think all goes with the argument that it wasn't a limitation of the OS, but just poor timing. Why support VESA 2, and later 3 (which did have refresh rate control) when Windows and DirectX were up and coming?

--

Go to: