Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Critique my Webpage Please

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Critique my Webpage Please
Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

I'm looking for suggestions on design, colors, formatting, etc.

This is a webpage for a guild in the game Ultima Online. It's for a guild of animal tamers, which is one of the professions in the game, so yes, it's supposed to be very GREEN.

So besides the abundant greenness, what does everything think?

[url http://utb.idohost.com/phpsite/index.php]

Cookies to everyone who offers constructive feedback.

Oh, and to see what it looked like before I started playing with CSS, visit [url http://utb.idohost.com/]. You can compare/contrast to this page, but I'm really only interested in design suggestions on the first one.

Thanks!

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

it looks somewhat the same, but the css is a nice improvement.

I was just getting ready to post a thread askign for critique on the new design of http://www.bafsoft.net/ when this one popped up :) So could you guys also tell me what you think of bafsoft.net when you tell Radagar what you think of his site?

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Looks good BAF. Pretty clean and sterile... But the design is fine. Everything is a little too small for my liking... but other than that, pretty good.

When clicking on the Netlib link...

the site said:

error 403: Forbidden!

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

oh that is most likely because the owner of the net lib webspace didnt upload their site yet :x

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

It looks messed with Opera (attached). The hover over link effect feels wrong to me. I think the text color should also change.

In the members list, the tables would look better with a solid background color (or soft texture, but different that the background). Maybe you can extend this idea to the full page, so the current background is only visible in areas without text.

Too many colors: green, orange, blue, yellow and red text colors. Try to play with shades of the same color, 2 as much. Gives better results :)

BAF: As a simplistic design, it looks quite good. :) It looks empty, but I guess that's because there's not much content now ;)

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

You need to change some fonts, the background, the colours, the layout... Pretty much everything. ::)

You don't deserve my sig.

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

Radagar: As oscar said, LESS COLORS. I always say 3 is absolute max pigout. 2 Is best. Get ridd of the blue, get ridd of the red, (you also might want to replace the orange with a darker shade of yellow, or visa-versa). Use different shades instead of different colors in most cases and you will have a much better looking page.

The background looks very busy to me, change that. Also, the header is totally invading the content section, divide it up a bit. I suggest you shrink the header vertically (to about one line) and make the header background black to go with the navigtor/content divider. This will make the site look much cleaner.

BAF: BAF's getting advanced. ;) As said before, its just a little small (which may make it hard to read for some users), but you do have the simplistic/clear/clean style down. Looks great 8-)

Edit:

jhuuskon said:

You need to change some fonts, the background, the colours, the layout... Pretty much everything.

I think that will help him about this much: -
::)

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

My main gripe is the background. It just has to go. The rest.. well, the design isn't exactly a prize winner, but with better contrast and less colours you could at least make it tolerable.

And what goes for BAF, I won't even bother to take a look. It's most likely something stolen/taken/remade from OSWD again.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm going to have to be the bad guy and point out a number of poor design decisions here.

First off, I agree with Inphernic: That background has to go. Second, there's so many colors it looks like a clown exploded all over it. Reduce to black/white, one primary color and one or two secondary. What compelled you to make everything in the main content pane underlined? Also, the text flows together and looks really ugly in Opera — see attached screenshot.

The text in the content pane is rather large, but worst of all, it's inconsistent. The black line separating the left content menu from the text doesn't work. The left menu is not distinct enough. Remove the "UTB Gallery" page completely. It has no content, and is completely superfluous and only serves to distract right now.

Important Lesson #1: Less is more.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

yay

Although I don't find it even that great a design, so I don't know why you bothered.

Marcello

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

yay

Radagar: Start by losing the background and the underlines :)
The layout isn't bad. It's just the colors/patterns that don't quite work well together.

My new design is coming up, soon. Totally new, totally fresh, and totally with div's. No tables \o/
Just need to fine tune it, and I want to add some bells and whistles ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

BAF got pwn3d. ;D

Radagar: I think the design is still salvagable. Its just yeah. The invasions and the exploding clowns and stuff... :P

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Inphernic said:

It's most likely something stolen/taken/remade from OSWD again.

I thinks there is nothing bad in using templates made by someone else, as long they agree and you give them credit.

Copyright © 2004, Robert Ferris. All Rights Reserved.This is what i don't like; Baf, its ok using someone elses template but at least give them credit!:-/

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I don't mind Radagar's page any more than any game-fan page with an annoying background and poor color coordination :)

Baf's is MUCH better than his previous one. I, in the footer, would say,
Site design © 200when whoever
User comments © their respective owners
Everything else © Robert Ferris

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Kid Russia
Member #5,148
October 2004

Radagar: Like the dog, dont like the site. Icky colours, yellow on green with orange thrown in? Not nice. As mentioned before, choose two contrasting colours, navy blue & white with a dash of bold yellow can work.

EDIT: Woopsee! Read teh post! Okay, so you need green, but lose the yellow and orange on the green...

Sometimes I don't know whether to kick the mone or check the conee, I flew like a rubber dingy thats right

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Instead of the background image, I would prefer a soft green color (or some light cyan like aqua). Fonts should be smaller, maybe some stylized font like New Times, to give a bit more serious look.

BAF site looks much better than the previous one, on a side note.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Radagar: That background is awful. Except from that, pretty nice! =)

Quote:

It's most likely something stolen/taken/remade from OSWD again.

He seem to use a template from it, but as it is a template site(?) that's what they are there for (and he gives credits). Where can i find the OSWD webpage so i can take some template myself? I don't really have a well developed design gene and don't give a rats ass about the `shame' in using a template. :)

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Sigh. Misunderstandings ahoy. This matter has been addressed several times before.. maybe repetition will get the message through:

There is no shame in using templates.

But..

<b><u>There is shame when credits for the template are not given to its author.</b></u>

Quote:

and he gives credits

He gives credits <b><u>after</b></u> someone points out that it's an OSWD template. Not the first time he has done this (is this the third or fourth time? I've lost count), and probably not the last.

hazul
Member #4,338
February 2004

Oh well, what the heck, check out
http://hazul.net/ and critique my design too while you're at it? :)

"Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI" -ReyBrujo

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Inphernic, yes i know the first and i know the second. :) Where can i find these templates then? And on crediting... The content is mine and (c) to me and the design is the template author, any ideas on how to write?

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

any ideas on how to write?

See CGP's post for example.

Quote:

Where can i find these templates then?

The link was posted above.

razor
Member #2,256
April 2002

Whats with tons of people not wanting to use the full width of the page? I've seen so many sites that do this recently, it doesn't look bad but I just don't get why.

Whoooo Oregon State University

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

Quote:

Whats with tons of people not wanting to use the full width of the page? I've seen so many sites that do this recently, it doesn't look bad but I just don't get why.

Elimination of horizontal scrolling on 800x600 and > screens.

+ It looks very neat :)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Much stronger control over how your page looks. It's much harder to make a page that stretches with some designs, and some tricks are completely impossible. It really makes life easier for you and you can do neater things if you decide to stick with a particular size.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

The link was posted above.

Oh, sorry, didn't see it as it wasn't linkified.. :)

1   2   3 

Go to: