Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Voxlap - it's finally here! :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Voxlap - it's finally here! :)
Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Ken Silverman has just released Voxlap library - his voxel engine. :) Being much different from polygonal engines, it allows making completely different kind of games, so I thought you might be interrested in it. :)

You can download it from this page:
http://www.advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap04.htm

You can also take a look at CaveDemo made by Tom Dobrowolski, which uses this library:
http://ged.ax.pl/~tomkh/vox1_en.htm

Both pages have also some nice screenshots, if you'd like to look at some results before downloading anything. :)

Me and Tom are also considering running a small SpeedHack-like compo using this library - what do you think about it? :)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

The readme said:

DirectX 8.0 or above
Compiler: Microsoft Visual C/C++ 6.0 or above.

>:(>:(>:(

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I haven't played with it yet, but I think that MinGW should be able to make use of this library. Lack of Linux support is painful, though. :P

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

It leads me to believe it uses some P3-specific instructions.. which AFAIK can only be done with inline (or pure) assembly. AFAIK, MinGW can't use VC inline asm.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Since engine is given in compiled form, you should be able to use VC++ .lib file in MinGW. :)

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

You can't use .lib files with MSVC, but you should be able to compile it with MSVC into a dll and generate a .a export lib from the dll for use with mingw.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Some .lib files work with MinGW (if you rename them to lib*.a), but that is irrelevant to me since I don't have Windows. :P

--

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

How'd you get updated so fast? :)

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

You can't use .lib files with MSVC, but you should be able to compile it with MSVC into a dll and generate a .a export lib from the dll for use with mingw.

Engine is provided as compiled .obj files, and MinGW seems to ba able to link with them (I haven't checked, but DevC++ lists it as supported object file extension). :)

Quote:

How'd you get updated so fast? :)

Tom, who works with Ken, is my friend at uni. :)

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

I love voxels! :)

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

I'm sorry, but I think that with modern gfx cards polygon engines are the best way to go. :(

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

You're probably right, but it still looks fun. Plus, everything is fully 3d--terrain included. You could do some cool stuff with that.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I was looking on the site for info about the api. What model formats are supported if any? How do you create content?

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I think that with modern gfx cards polygon engines are the best way to go. :(

At the moment, probably yes, but who knows what it will be like in the future. :) Also some things still can work better with this engine, with most obvious ones being Worms/Liero 3D. :)

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

How do you create content?

Well, this probably isn't what you want, but I was playing around in the demo and discovered you can create objects and texturize them by clicking the space bar in game, and using some other keys. ..Although, this is probably already in the readme.. ;)

Quote:

I like the look of the voxel engine. Instead of crisp and clear, every single block and pixel has a purpose.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Voxels are ok at a distance but maybe there could be a way to have half voxels, like triangular in a way that it's a voxel cut in half down the edges. These could be placed on the outer edges and "antialias" the voxel edges a bit, it's just that up close it looks too blocky to me. Who knows what the future of voxel technology holds though.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

At the moment, probably yes, but who knows what it will be like in the future. :)

Well, supposedly triangle raster engines scale like O(n) while raytracer engines scale like O(log n) :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Kitty Cat said:

the readme said:
| OS: Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2K/XP
| DirectX 8.0 or above
| Compiler: Microsoft Visual C/C++ 6.0 or above.

VoxRend needs a much more small system, and is really really really cross-platform... and, uh, is mine.;D

P.S.: Ok, it isn't finished, but it will. 8-)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: