Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » DESOS...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
DESOS...
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I know it is a huge task but out of pure boredom I've started working on my own operating system. Destined Entertainment Studios Operating System or DESOS for short. I've not worked out all the features but I may use it in the very, very distant future as my gaming OS. I've started capsulating everything and I've started working on the possible GUIs, sound, and graphics stuff (with the help of detailed information from web sites about the topics). Right now I'm running it off a floppy so that if I mess up it can be rebooted into Windows just by restarting the computer and removing the floppy. There aren't any features that are worth mentioning right now because I'm only doing test runs of DESOS.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

wow, so you have your own task scheduler, virtual memory system, and a good filesystem setup? I wan't to try it :D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

It's all majorly buggy and faulty but yes I have those sort of working. That is why I've not released any demo of it. Maybe I'll get Matrix OS and see what they did with that to determine where I'll go with DESOS.

[edit]Feature wise of course.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

gaming OS

You do realize that something like that is going to require OpenGL support or equivalent? :o

It's not feasible for one person to create their own OS.. especially one intended for gaming. :o

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I agree with Derezo. Besides, the last thing we need is yet another operating system.
Don't get me wrong. If you like playing around with it for fun, that's fine. If you intend to do anything serious with it, I would suggest you look into modifying an existing Linux distribution instead.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

There has been a misunderstanding. I have no intention of releasing it pass a demo stage. As I said earlier it is my own OS which I meant that it will only exist as my personal OS with internet capabilities, programming capabilities(GCC, G++, MinGW32(which is going to be the difficult part of them all)), graphics, and will mainly be for just me doing research, surfing the web, and programming games. Also I may have forgot to mention it earlier but all of these components are already started and either functioning at a beta level or fixing to be function after fixing my syntax errors. I've been working on DESOS for almost a year now in secret and thought I would announce it just for fun with no intention of releasing a final version, just one demo and that is it. Since I've quit using Allegro I've stopped posting as much on the forums and I've been on IRC less but my biggest secret is that I've been making games while learning to make DESOS. My games include a tetris clone called Block Drop, a solitaire clone named Solipet (solitaire with pet themed cards), a side scroller named Dragomon (working on this one now actually), and I have a design doc for a RPG. The bad news is that since I don't use Allegro any more and that between programming, work, and my wife I have no time to make a site so these games will just collect dust even after I get DESOS completed 100%.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

An OS for games is a little bit overkill, if you ask me.

Although, having a decent OS for desktop users (BESIDES windows and BESIDES some of those strange linux distriubtions that install junk that you really don't need... your installing a desktop; DO NOT INSTALL SERVER STUFF PLEASE!!!!).

It would be nice for a DECENT desktop distribution of linux to come out that operated very similarly to at least MacOS X, and windows would be preferable. It would be nice to get a linux-based OS that works like windows; doesn't complicate things, require you to launch shells to run programs, etc. Heck, have it so it doesn't even allow you to configure anything that requires root access unless you are logged in directly as root.

Linux is great; it is those computer idiots out there who don't program for linux/don't want to "waste time" on linux that are keeping it from spreading.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Screenshots? Of this 'operating system' or your games? ..thought so.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

existing Linux distribution instead.

Yick. If every OS uses/is linux, every OS will have the same flaws as linux (<-please lets not go into that though). I don't think any OS should have a monopoly. It allows more variety.

I have a idea for an operating system that I may work on in the future. It's what I consider module based. Each module can be reset/shutdown/patched/etc without touching any other module (except submodules) and the ones required to install the driver (file i/o module, assuming it's not already in RAM).

So you could in theory reinstall almost the entire OS while it's running. :) And you could be playing quake during the process as well.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Chris: In the case of linux, you wont inherit all of it's flaws, because most of it's flaws are in it's user friendliness. Plug and play, user interfaces, and all that type of stuff.

You can change all of that without affecting the base on which the OS operates.

You'd still have problems like driver issues, but that's not a huge problem if you know the hardware you're working on.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Rampage
Member #3,035
December 2002

Quote:

I have a idea for an operating system that I may work on in the future. It's what I consider module based. Each module can be reset/shutdown/patched/etc without
touching any other module (except submodules) and the ones required to install the driver (file i/o module, assuming it's not already in RAM).

That's an OS architecture, known as microkernel. It provides only the four basic services (process management, memory management, low level i/o and IPC), and all other stuff is managed as daemons or servers.

GNU has been trying to get one of these for a long time, it's called The Hurd, but they haven't made much progress. That's why we have to stick with Linux.

-R

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Inphernic: They are windows only games right now. Once I get everything for DESOS then I plan to attempt to make ports of my games for DESOS. I've not implemented a screenshot function for the simple fact that they were games that I have no intention of releasing any games until I start the RPG. As for DESOS it's just for my use so there will probably be no screenshots of that either just the demo if no one downloads it oh well.

Yes making a gaming os is overkill, but ask entheh I'm obsessed with overkill projects. Thankfully this overkill project is coming along nicely.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

And I built a MMORPG 50x the size of Morrowind in 34 minutes, 2 seconds yesterday. It looks better than Doom 3 & HL2 combined. I have no screenshots because my speakers don't work. Oh well!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I had that idea with a friend when I was at school, for a project (ugh! 5 years ago! I am getting old!). The teacher told us it was not worth. Why? Because if you want to make games faster, improve the video and sound drivers instead of writing an OS.

If you can do it, go for it!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

It's what I consider module based. Each module can be reset/shutdown/patched/etc without touching any other module (except submodules) and the ones required to install the driver (file i/o module, assuming it's not already in RAM).

Linux can do that. You can load and unload drivers on the fly and change the configuration without having to reboot like in Windows.
Kernel updates are about the only thing I think that really requires a restart.

Anyway, all I was saying is that if you want to build your own operating system, you can probably save yourself a lot of trouble by looking at an existing open source operating system. Linux is the obvious choice, but FreeBSD should do just as well. Even FreeDOS might be interesting.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

The game named Dragomon got me interested, any more info?

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

If you're interested in tiny OSs, try Menuet - it's GPL, mostly written in assembler, has a couple of graphics demos, web server, media server, http client, mail client, text editor and compiler (it can build itself) all on one floppy.

For microkernels, check out L4 which works on MIPS, PowerPC, x86 and ARM processors. It claims to have addressed some of the performance issues that killed microkernels about 10 years ago (Chorus, Mach etc) but it is at the University Research stage.

I think it would be possible to make a focussed, mini OS for games that would go on a floppy. If you use GRUB, that will boot to protected mode, load an ELF binary with any associated data to memory, and give you a pointer to a VBE3.0 interface for graphics. You'd only need input and sound drivers.

Having said all that, for most people the effort:reward ratio for writing an OS would be too high - very difficult to debug, for a start, and, if you wanted modern hardware support, it would be a constant game of catch-up on the driver side.

I hope this won't delay DES's first games release, which I am really looking forward to.

Pete

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

oed.com said:

capsulate, a.

Bot. Obs.

Furnished with or enclosed in a capsule; formed into a capsule; capsuled.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

DESOS is going nicely but it is being put on hold for now so I can work more on my present project(s).

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

use sometihng like BOCHS (or preferably) vmware or ms virtual pc to test it in ( i can send you a copy of vmware if you like ;))

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

programming capabilities(GCC, G++, MinGW32(which is going to be the difficult part of them all))

So you are porting MingW? Minimalist GNU for Windows? What kind of a bootloader do you have? How are you handling kernel memory allocation? How about program execution? Multitasking? TCP/IP stack? How are you accessing/polling external devices and their states & features?

To be truthful, I don't think DESOS exists. DESOS is 100% certified bogus. I am not convinced by words alone.

Quote:

DESOS is going nicely but it is being put on hold for now so I can work more on my present project(s).

Which are...? A superhyperfantastic game, which you can't post screenshots of because it's raining outside? A superhyperfantastic AI which emulates the brain completely and acts exactly as a human being would - but you have nothing to show because the letter C comes right after letter B?

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Ok I've had fun with making sound like it is just me doing all this but I'm not alone making these things. I've kept is secret but I'm going to IU for the computer science course (which from what I hear is one of the best colleges for getting a degree in programming). Reason I kept it secret is that most people hate IU and others love but more of them hate it from my experience. The DESOS was only named DESOS after we realized I'm the only one that already have a company name picked out for game production. Our instructor is the same for all of our programming courses so four guys said they would like to make a game os for their final senior project of the course. The instructor told them ok but they would have to show their progress at each of the courses final and a final release must be done by our 4th year. That is how IU courses usually work but for the most part they let you pick a project, display a working demo at year one, and build on it each consecutive year til it is completely done in year four using what you have learned from your books and courses.

I liked the idea and requested to join their group cause two of the guys were my friends so they accepted:). That is how the idea for DESOS was born.The team is me, Kyle, Joe, Greg, and Rock (yes that is his birth name, weird parents) and of course just like in high school I'm stuck doing the research for the OS while they do the layout and then we are breaking the programming into tasks. For the gaming os we each had to think of a game to play under the OS so I thought up Block Drop, Joe came up with the Dragomon, Greg and Rock came up with Solipet together, and Kyle is a transformer buff and thought up a Transformer RPG. I'm researching programming operating systems right now as I'm typing this. Now you see why I can't post pics of any of it because we don't have complete versions really done plus I don't know if our instructor will let us publish it online or if it will forever be IUs student projects.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It's your intellectual property unless you actually signed it away at some point. Of course you do need the group's permission.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

The Supreme Overlord Of The United Duckie Horde said:

So you are porting MingW? Minimalist GNU for Windows? What kind of a bootloader do you have? How are you handling kernel memory allocation? How about program execution? Multitasking? TCP/IP stack? How are you accessing/polling external devices and their states & features?

So not only did you steal credit from other people and lie, but you also tried to evade those questions?

IF it is functioning even nearly as well as you have already described, surely you are able to answer at least some of those questions and fire up a conversation. But of course, you manage to contradict that already with your "I'm researching programming operating systems right now as I'm typing this.".

You still have not displayed any proof whatsoever. And your word certainly isn't proof. Waiting for your next evasion.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Inphernic I want to answer those question and I would if I was team leader but Kyle is the one that makes of the rules for our college project. He has decided that we can tell the name of the OS but nothing else otherwise we get kicked off the team and that would make m fail for the semester:(. I'll talk to him and see if he will let me at least post the answers here and then I'll answer all questions and post as many screenshots as you can stand;D.

The researching is trying to make it the best OS that college students can make. The thing I hate is that Kyle and the others think it will be possible to continue this after our course is done and want to then try to make DESOS support Windows programs, Linux programs, and Mac Programs???. If I can't talk some sense into them I may drop from the team and answer all your questions just to p*ss them off>:(.

1   2   3 

Go to: