Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Finally: The Mighty Stoopid Demo

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Finally: The Mighty Stoopid Demo
X-G
Member #856
December 2000

How long it takes for them to do the attack is not a problem - that can be timed. It's the inconsistent delay between pushing the button and him actually performing the attack that's annoying.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

ESC doesn't work. I always have to shut it off manually. The problems seem to happen randomly...one time I died and I couldn't do anything, but the action was still going on in the background. Then sometimes it just crashes.

______
Good guys. They look so god damn like the same person. I would say to them, "you want ice cream cone?" Both of them say yes. How in the hell?!

Mario Twins!!!1 *** CoolText *** Free C++ Books! w00t! *** wtf is this?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Again, see Simon's whip. It's not that bad; I actually sped it up from the first demo :) The only time it really pisses you off is the bats in the bonus level (you'll see) but it's just a matter of timing. I kind of like the wind-up :)

Me: P to pause, then press Esc.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Once AGAIN, wind-up is not a problem; it's the inconsistency depending on whether you're standing still, jumping or just landing after a jump.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

Damn, I was hoping you could ride in the cars, and then just ride around and run everyone over. That would be sweet. 8-)

______
Good guys. They look so god damn like the same person. I would say to them, "you want ice cream cone?" Both of them say yes. How in the hell?!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

X-G: I guess I still don't get what you mean then; seems nice and responsive to me ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Scenario A: Standing still. I press Attack. Latency between me pushing button and attack commencing: 0 msecs.

Scenario B: In the air. I press Attack. Latency between me pushing button and attack commencing: 0 msecs.

Scenario C: Just landing from a jump. I press Attack. Latency between me pushing button and attack commencing: 200 msecs.

That's what I mean. Completely throws off your timing.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Tried it again; I guess you mean if you push the punch button just a hair before you land? Otherwise I don't see any latency. Like I said, I can combo a jumpkick into a punch, no sweat. I can probably compensate for that though, so if your timing's a bit off it doesn't get wasted on an aborted jumpkick :)

adds to to-do list

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

I guess you mean if you push the punch button just a hair before you land?

Yes.

There is never an excuse for aborting an attack short of being attacked yourself.

--

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

Yay! I just finished beating the boss. Not that hard. The bonus level is insanly hard though. How are you supposed to avoid those green floating things?

______

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Well, the first two green floating things ("gampops") can be destroyed with 5 hits each. The rest are to be avoided.

X-G: New EXE, now with better landing and punching! What's the verdict? (PS: the main zip has now been updated with this binary)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Finally: The mighty chris barry does something other than spam. :P

Seriuosly,. i skimmed the other posts but here are my comments. They are only to help, remember, i would not insult a fellow programmer.

a) I never once punched an enemy without him first punching me. Maybe I suck at it, but i couldnt quite time it right so that i hit him first.

b) the jump kick was pretty useless for as far as I could get. Im sure its useful later though.

c) Why cant we move up and down in the road like river city ransom? Is this in the works?

d) The punch-kick combo is actually quite cool, but gets old quite fast. Hopefully there will be more moves later, i think i read that somewhere in a previuos post.

12) make a better menu system.

IVVXXIL) i got 60 fps

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Finally: The mighty chris barry does something other than spam.

Har har ::)

Quote:

a) I never once punched an enemy without him first punching me. Maybe I suck at it, but i couldnt quite time it right so that i hit him first.

I know, I mentioned this. TMS will have a longer range with his springs and the enemy sprites will be totally redone, so it's a non-issue for now. Jumping in with a kick first makes it easier.

Quote:

c) Why cant we move up and down in the road like river city ransom?

Because this isn't River City Ransom? ;)

Quote:

d) The punch-kick combo is actually quite cool, but gets old quite fast. Hopefully there will be more moves later, i think i read that somewhere in a previuos post.

Well, TMS doesn't get much in the way of combos; I just threw that in for fun :) The final moves will be pretty simple. I'm still open to suggestions in this area though ...

Quote:

12) make a better menu system.

Hell yes.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Um... Site Bandwidth exceeded.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Use MB's mirror (fifth post). The binary 4 posts up is optional.

C'mon; I want to know if anyone's beaten it yet :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

Quote:

C'mon; I want to know if anyone's beaten it yet

Well, I have (if you don't count the bonus level). It's much easier just to jump over all the enemies and not even fight them. That's how I did it. ;)

You should also add a slide, and being able to ride in the cars!

______

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

It's much easier just to jump over all the enemies and not even fight them.

I know. Can't do that in the bonus level, can you? ;)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

No...:'(

______

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

WOOHOO!!! At long last a new Demo! You Rock Chris!

On the first level I found it easiest to just jump over the enemies too. The charring effect is cool. Jump kicks are cool. Only one dislike, right ctrl and space bar? That is VERY awkward.

Never the less, GREAT JOB! This game is hard! Well worth the wait!

ghost
Member #1,422
June 2001

very good 23. ;)

I didn't like the messages.
Because they are very long and they said nothing. :-[

The mosters are very good.
In 15 min I reach the second monster.
Your game, make me remember shinobi or shandow dancer ;D

But you game did't had scripting ? ???

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Now just add some cool moves that are in things like Streets of Rage... Like the ability to pick people up and throw them, pick up their guns and shoot them/bash them with them... That would be fun!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

On the first level I found it easiest to just jump over the enemies too.

For the record, I've been coming up with some level and enemy setups that won't allow you to do that anymore ;) Or at least give you some incentive to deal with enemies rather than have them shoot you in the back ;) I'll probably give them less life too ...

Quote:

right ctrl and space bar? That is VERY awkward.

Really? I thought it was the standard for these things :) You want the other Ctrl button or something?

Quote:

Because they are very long and they said nothing.

Well, they said a little ;) ...

Quote:

In 15 min I reach the second monster.

Wow, it took you 14 minutes to beat the first monster?!

Quote:

But you game did't had scripting ?

It had some scripting using Lua; you can see that just from the datafile :) The enemy AI was hardcoded; I tried going the script-everything route and found it too cumbersome. This works good :)

Quote:

Now just add some cool moves that are in things like Streets of Rage... Like the ability to pick people up and throw them, pick up their guns and shoot them/bash them with them... That would be fun!

Yes, but it wouldn't be true to the nature of the game. TMS is a very simple character with a very simple moveset; the trick for me is to make the enemies as imaginative as possible so you can get a lot of mileage out of those moves :)

BTW, does anyone notice a big frame drop in the bonus level? For some reason, my system chokes on it, cutting the FPS down to 30. Just did that today, and it's annoying the crap out of me >:(

PS: Has anyone beaten the bonus level? Have you even reached the boss?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Me
Member #2,534
July 2002

Quote:

PS: Has anyone beaten the bonus level?

No.

______

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

Quote:

Really? I thought it was the standard for these things You want the other Ctrl button or something?

Left CTRL and ALT is usally the standard, innit?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Which is jump and which is punch?

I'm making a new binary now (turned out the reason I lost my speed might be because I may have fubared my makefile flags) so I'll add them in ...

EDIT: I was right; it was my flags :P I'm going to keep the most recent build in the first post, so go there if you want the latest. Especially if you got the last binary I posted, which should run really slow in the bonus level.

(btw, I just beat the whole thing on one man with half a health bar to spare, so no one tell me it isn't possible ;))

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: