Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » ATI Ad at Gamedev....

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
ATI Ad at Gamedev....
nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I guess its just been within the last day or two, but now the "ad" is on all the forum pages. Dave said if they can't get enough impressions they are going to put it in all the Thread pages too. (Could you imagin trying to read a thread with that thing popping up?) He also said its going to run into November, maybe longer.

Its almost impossible to use the forums over there now. I know, I know, If I had Mozilla I could use its disable pop up feature. But I don't have Mozilla and I'm not going to move to Linux for a while yet.

In my opinion gamedev has been going downhill for a while (No new updates, no new content...) and this is just another nail in the coffin.

Bless you Matthew!

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

But I don't have Mozilla and I'm not going to move to Linux for a while yet.

You know there is Mozilla for Windows.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

uh?

???

EDIT: Curse you 56k dial-up! Faster I say! )Its only 11.2 MB I thought it would be alot bigger.)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I can't even see the ad. I want to see it and I can't! ;D Bless Opera.
(Hell, I can't even see it from work using IE ....)

I have Mozilla for Windows, but I never really use it ....

[EDIT: I wonder how long before Matthew starts charging us :P]

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Paul Pridham
Member #250
April 2000

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Panicware, thats nice... Would you happen to know of freeware alternative?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

The rage on GameDev is pretty high. I'm going to post a few links to threads ....

Bye, GameDev.
ATI pop-up ads suck
ATI slime ads
The Official Radeon Ad Thread
Radeon Advertisment

EDIT: I just saw a screenshot of the ad. That IS annoying >:(

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yep, I posted on this one.

EDIT: Whats even more annoying than the color is it pops up right when you click on a link but instead you click on it, so you get diverted to the site where ATI is pimping there wares.

Dark
Member #749
November 2000

Get Phoenix, it's better than Mozilla :D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Whats Pheonix?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its a mozilla like browser that uses most of the mozilla code... Its just smaller and a bit faster.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I just installed Mozilla; First Impressions-I was never crazy about the Navigator look and feel. No pop ups or flash animations sure is nice. My geocities page doesn't load right with it. The geocities ad comes up on the left instead of the right which totally screws my page. Oh well.... Other than that me likes.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Phoenix is actually a little better than mozilla in various aspects. Right-click to open a tab doesn't direct you off the page, closing a tab sends you to the tab to the right, not the left. That's just two quick examples where Phoenix controls are more intuitive. Phoenix also makes use of Windows XP skins and colors, whereas Mozilla just uses ugly block buttons. I also like the default Phoenix skin, if I re-arrange the toolbar a bit. With Phoenix (and Mozilla most likely), you can right click the ad and "Block Image". You can also block pop-ups.

Which brings me to gamedev.net. Since it has no real revenue stream, if enough people do that, they'll just shut the site down.

I remember them having to raise $20,000 for bandwidth for a year? (I may be thinking of another site, I dunno.) With my current server rates, that would last me over 16 years. Even if I had to switch to a server with "unlimited bandwidth" (ie, 100Mbit), that amount would last me 4 years.

They use ASP, so I assume they run Windows servers. Those are a lot more expensive to operate and manage than *nix. I honestly don't know why anyone would choose to use Windows for a server, because ultimately you pay more for less.

Linux servers are more reliable than Windows ones
Linux requires less expensive hardware than Windows (ie, Linux OS is smaller - no GUI, etc)
PHP+MySQL performs WAY better than ASP+SQL Server
Linux is free, and Windows+SQL Server is expensive

Unless I had corporate sponsership, I wouldn't even be able to afford a Windows server. I'm not sure how Gamedev even gets by.

If they are spending a lot of $ on hardware/bandwidth, they would be well advised to convert the site to PHP and Linux.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I remember the days of annoying ads..

Once, many moons ago, there were these annoying ads on Utopia.. which were hot air balloons and air planes that would fly across the center of the screen >:( The only time they were ever clicked on was by accident, I swear..

.. so many plane crash animations came out of that in the forums.. Several of which I made.. (god awful animation, but it was still funny..)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

I saw the screenshot, and yes it looks pretty annoying but I still think Gamedev site is not too bad. Sure, some of the content is a bit outdated and some it really sucks. But I think there is some good material in there, plus the one thing I like about it is the Game Dev news.

Just my 2cents worth....8-)

--
Tom Van den Bon - Pixelate Editor
--
[ Pixelate ] - "...thats not a bug, it's a feature..."

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Which brings me to gamedev.net. Since it has no real revenue stream, if enough people do that, they'll just shut the site down.

It's funny; everyone is threatening to leave and one of the main staff members says "fine; then our bandwidth goes down and we can stay online. Toodles." :P

Quote:

I remember them having to raise $20,000 for bandwidth for a year? (I may be thinking of another site, I dunno.)

That was them.

Quote:

They use ASP, so I assume they run Windows servers.

True again.

Quote:

If they are spending a lot of $ on hardware/bandwidth, they would be well advised to convert the site to PHP and Linux.

I think they are; a lot of people have been recommending they take that route.

One screwup they made a while ago was when they first wanted to put ads on the site, they bought the best possible software for doing it. It turned out to be way more than they needed but by the time they figured that out they were stuck in a 2 year contract which cost them WAY too much. :( Or something like that.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

the_y_man
Member #1,770
December 2001

yeah gamedev has been going downhill for a long time now.....i stopped using their forums and all i use from them are their articles, some of them are actually pretty good.....good thing im on opera! no ads!;D

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

How much bandwidth does 20000 USD buy you?
Something tells me it's a few TB's per month worth.

--
- Bob

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Well, for me, $20,000 in one year would supply me with 4 dedicated unmanaged servers with no bandwidth restrictions, other than what the 10Mbit card would allow.

In other words, each machine should be able to push over 100GB daily. This would be, of course, if you could get them to use 100% of the 10Mbit.

Keep in mind that the pricing above means that there is no onsite sysadmin, and I would have to be doing all the server updates and backups myself via remote.

As soon as you start renting a Windows machine with onsite sysadmins, you start paying about 4X the price for literally a tenth of the bandwidth.

[Edit: I accidently figured 100MBit the first time.]

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

So essentially it's much thanks to poor site management that they keep having these money problems? Ouch ...

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

(somewhat related to this) Is it just me or has Allegro.cc been very slow today?

[EDIT]
Seems to be some problem with the link to USA - domestic sites are still fast but everyone I know has had connection problems with American servers today...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Quote:

Right-click to open a tab doesn't direct you off the page, closing a tab sends you to the tab to the right, not the left. That's just two quick examples where Phoenix controls are more intuitive. Phoenix also makes use of Windows XP skins and colors, whereas Mozilla just uses ugly block buttons.

That's mozilla code, not pheonix! Download the latest mozilla and you'll have the same updates/features! Pheonix is just compiled with the latest gecko/usability so it may seem more advanced... get the latest mozilla and you've got the same things.

Quote:

I also like the default Phoenix skin, if I re-arrange the toolbar a bit.

Yup, that's one of the nice features in pheonix, but I'm so used to mozilla now it really doesn't matter to me.

Quote:

With Phoenix (and Mozilla most likely), you can right click the ad and "Block Image". You can also block pop-ups.

Yup, more mozilla code...

Anyway so my opinion is if you have the processor/ram to run mozilla, it's more powerful, if you want a lite, fast browser, get phoenix. (I forget, does pheonix have a mail client?)

Marcello

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yeah, I just got the newest Mozilla, and it is VERY SLOW to start up, like MS word slow on my win ME.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Quote:

Yeah, I just got the newest Mozilla, and it is VERY SLOW to start up, like MS word slow on my win ME.

Maybe you should try the Quick Launch option.

--
- Bob

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yeah, well I had a bad experience with that thing one time, It used to crash my system every time I tried to launch explorer so I don't use it.

1   2 

Go to: