Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » IdeaHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IdeaHack
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I'll join up for it, but I'm beginning to think that this competition might need to be rescheduled since the site isn't up yet and the competition dates will be upon us before you know it. Still I love challenges so I'm in :D.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I have to apologize. I was just skimming through when I decided to join up. Then I went back and read the posts thoroughly and saw that the site was up and running. I feel dumb now, but oh well; you can only get smarter by feeling dumber cause you learn from your mistakes :D.

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

It is going very good by now.
There are 13 participants by now ( 9 individual and 4 in a team)
I have updated the page with the new people and their requirements.

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Ok, updated page again. Now there are 16 (yay!) entrants!

If you have any questions then post them here.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

For my own good I post here the webaddress, so I don't have to go back a page and search around for it again:
Idea Hack Site

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Whoever's in charge of the IdeaHack website:

On the site, it says my team does not have a name, but we have found a name: "IdeaHackers." Could someone please update the site to reflect this?

--
~Goodbytes

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Goodbytes, I'm maintaining the page.
We'll get a page with proper design very soon, maybe even today, I have the layout in my computer right now, but it has no text on it, bdavis will fill in that and I'll upload it then.
I'll fix our teams name anyway

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

'Carp' i misread the e-mail with the new page and thought it was ready... it's not.
Sorry

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I've seen the slow improvements that you've been making to the website Ook and I'd have to say that it's coming along great :D. And on another note; I'm going to use a few ideas from IdeaHack and make my own competition. I'll keep everyone posted on what it is and when I'll have the site up and running. I'm making the rules right now and revising them a lot to make them a little different from yours. I plan to make it DOS specific like IdeaHack and prohibit the use of conio.h, but I've got to set the rules and everything before I post the title, competition time, etc. Hope to see Ook, bdavis, and everyone else to become entrants of that competition :D. I've revised the rules about ten times now and am running out of things to add so I might have them up on a different post in a few days or so. I'll post a new thread and post a comment in here to make sure that everyone sees the competition. I do have a few things set for the competition, but I'm keeping quiet until I can get everything as final as possible. Sorry for the secrecy, but it makes it harder to figure out what the competition will be :D ;). I'll keep everyone informed.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Destined Entertainment ]

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

We have a new entrant:
El Cipotón Justiciero : "Put a bald man's head, severed from the body with the neck shod in blood and a tobacco pipe in the mouth, somewhere in your game."

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

:oOk it's official the games for this are going to be the weirdest games in the world ::) :D. Just playing. With the amount of talent we have in this competition the games will be fun and interesting to play (hopefully :D).

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Just a thought... what is there to prevent people from starting early? There should be a set style of game, I could've started a wekk ago and nobody would be any smarter...

-Steve

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

I've signed up and added the following requirement: The game must feature at least one black hat.

I'm not sure if I want to do it alone or as part of a team, so if anyone want an artist (and musician) as a teammate, let me know! (You can see some samples of my style at my homepage.)

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

StevenVI: The honor system.

--
~Goodbytes

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

*** to anyone that can help me, but more for the IdeaHack people ***

im in, but i got a few problems....i have windows 2000 professional, and it sucks. for some reason my once magnificant dos djgpp/allegro games SIGSEV on me all the time, so im trying to learn MSVC+allegro. do you have any problems with me entering the contest with MSVC windows version of a game? or am i gonna have to erase winblows 2000 and replace it with 98?

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

sicgamemaker: Allegro is a portable game library. That means we should be able to compile your program, written in MSVC, on any platform supported by Allegro (DOS, Linux and some others). However, you'll have to be careful how you write it. This shouldn't be a problem for you in terms of hardware support, since your background is DOS.

It says on the page that we will make reasonable efforts to resolve unforeseen portability issues. However, we will not resample all your sprites and adjust all your hard-coded coordinates so that your game can run in a supported graphics mode.

There is some good information in the Allegro docs. Look at the sections towards the end.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

im up for this competiton, sounds like fun. BUT i have win 2000, and i cant program dos games with it, would it matter if i used MSVC 6.0 + allegro and i did it that way?

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

oops i posted the smae thing again :) and i fixed the problem. i made a new partition with windows 98 and dos on it :) problem solved!

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

In light of the terrorist attack on the world trade center... should we still have the contest?
[edit :
It has come to my attention that what I wrote above sounds like I'm asking for the competition to be cancelled. That's not what I want. At the time, I thought maybe it should be postponed, but I don't feel the same way now. (call me mr. moodswing ) ]
[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: goodbytes ]

--
~Goodbytes

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I see I'm not the only one that's getting to :(

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Heh, the attack has given me a whole new idea for a game, "Middle Eastern Terrorist Killa". The enemies are people like Hussein and Bin Laden. I don't have any webspace to upload my game to, is that a problem?

-Steve

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Since Goodbytes dosen't want it to be postponed anyomre the IdeaHack competition will take place at the time it should.
If anyone has objections to it then he should post here.
StevenVI: You wanted to say that you dont have web-space to upload your IdeaHack entry or ... ?
If so then don't worry, I can upload it at the IdeaHack site, or create a new one

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

Then it's only about 27½ h left until it starts. I'm still interested in teaming up with someone if someone (that I want to work with) want to work with me. So, if you might be interested, let's talk about it!

If I don't team up with anyone I will participate alone.

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

Why am I still not listed on the IdeaHack web page? I've both sent the mail and announced my participation on this forum.

(Less than 13 hours left until start...)

--

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

12 hours til start by now...
Trummgotist, i had you on the page, I think that your browser did'nt reload the page.

Go to: