Election Night 2016
Mark Oates

Alrightie, here's my prediction for the results tomorrow. I think all the states are pretty much lock except for Florida and North Carolina. I'd like to see her swing Ohio, but I don't think there's enough time. I give Florida and North Carolina to Clinton because the momentum is in her favor:

{"name":"610609","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/685b4286470f995fb2d2e5b71727be49.png","w":774,"h":636,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/685b4286470f995fb2d2e5b71727be49"}610609

Note that last time I did this, I only got one state wrong!

Bob Keane

Could you post an uncoloured map so we could make this a guessing contest? The one who comes closest wins bragging rights. And maybe a doughnut.

Specter Phoenix

She could have gotten West Virginia if she didn't have the screw up of flat out saying she was going to put the coal miners out of work facepalm.

LennyLen

What do the 323 and 215 figures refer to?

edit: And does the winner need 270 of them to win?

Mark Oates

Here ya go! Make your own map:

http://www.270towin.com/

:D

Erin Maus
LennyLen said:

What do the 323 and 215 figures refer to?

They refer to electoral votes. Our votes are collectively pooled into districts. Whoever wins the district gets an electoral vote. Some states are winner-takes-all, too, which means all electoral votes from a state go to the winner of the state.

Quote:

edit: And does the winner need 270 of them to win?

You need 270 or more electoral votes to win the election.

Here ya go! Make your own map:

Algorithm:

1. For each state, flip a coin.

1. Heads, paint Republican.

2. Tails, paint Democrat.

You're guaranteed* to get the correct results! Eventually... *: Probably. Big O notation not provided.

Steve Terry

Goodbye 'Merica ... gonna miss you :'( ;D

Dizzy Egg

...and I thought our politicians were bad... ;D

Bruce Perry

Vote Matthew Leverton 8-)

jmasterx

Vote 3rd Party Candidate.

Algorithm:

For each state, flip a coin.

Heads, paint Republican.

Tails, paint Democrat.

This is O(N)

You need:
Algorithm:
while(map.Result != YOUR_CANDIDATE)

For each state, flip a coin.

Heads, paint Republican.

Tails, paint Democrat.

Erin Maus
jmasterx said:

This is O(N)

For a single one, yes, but the chances of any one output being the correct one is 1 in 2^50... So to randomly come to a correct one, it's not O(N).

Quote:

Vote 3rd Party Candidate.

The insane doctor or the insane governor?

jmasterx

That's why I added the while. As you had it, I only have one chance and it is O ( N )

Also, all politicians are insane, we need to do Candidates.OrderBy(x => x.Sanity).FirstOrDefault();

Erin Maus
jmasterx said:

Also, all politicians are insane, we need to do Candidates.OrderBy(x => x.Sanity).FirstOrDefault();

I have a feeling that would throw a NotImplementedException upon accessing the Sanity field. :o

jmasterx

They all return Double.NaN so the winning candidate is determined by an implementation detail :)

type568

A live map by NY Times..

LennyLen
type568 said:

A live map by NY Times..

Looks like Mark called NH (New Hampshire?) wrong.

edit: Just noticed that was based on 57 votes, so probably a bit premature.

type568

& looks like Florida also goes to Trump.. 2nd error.

Felix-The-Ghost

On January 21, his first complete day in office Trump will be 70 years, 7 months, and 7 days old. It will also still be year 5777 on the Hebrew calendar.

Call it what you'd like, but I feel the outcome has been decided for a long time.

type568

Ye.. It's all Jews. AND Russian hackers.

Specter Phoenix

I think Hillary will win the election. The second woman to ever be the President in American history. First woman to be elected by the people as President.

[APPEND]
Guess I should elaborate since not everyone knows American History. Hillary will technically be the second female President. In October 1919, Woodrow Wilson suffered a massive stroke that paralyzed him. So Edith Wilson secretly took up his job telling people that everything she did was according to Woodrow's wishes. So she was the de facto President from October 1919 through the end of his term in 1921. It was under her that women finally gained the right to vote.

Matthew Leverton

I am old enough to be President now. I voted Libertarian, so my team lost.

Seems like Trump will win.

National embarrassment.

Specter Phoenix

I sadly was unable to vote. Father-in-law got to vote, but family members called him and needed him to help them so by the time he got home I had to cook dinner. No one was here to sit with my son so I could go vote. Wife refuses to vote because she doesn't stay up on politics.

Steve Terry

FU Florida >:(

Mark Oates

Unreal

Specter Phoenix

Trump 244
Clinton 215
Close enough that it can still go either way. I'll wait to cry after I find out who wins.

LennyLen

It's 264 to 215 now. It's still not impossible for Clinton to win, but bloody unlikely.

Specter Phoenix

Google has Trump at 276.

Arthur Kalliokoski

Yayness!

raynebc

The Internet sure is going to be salty today.

bamccaig

Whoooo!

Johan Halmén

The best thing that could happen now is Trump starting to act and behave like a president, disappointing maybe only those who voted for him. I still hope this all was only a hoax by Trump, knowing what strings to pull ("If I ever run for president, it will be as a republican candidate" and all that stuff). Now he will start doing real things. I'll probably dislike most things he'll do, but I still hope he'll do the things like a president, not as the donkey cavity he has pretended to be, which was only there to assure white trash votes.

Edgar Reynaldo

America has fallen. :'(

bamccaig

What's amazing to me are the people that somehow believe Hilary would have been good for the country or the world... ??? I mean, I can't guarantee that Trump will be good for either, but I can pretty much guarantee that he won't be any worse.

Edgar Reynaldo

That's funny. I would say the exact same thing with Hillary and Donald reversed in that sentence. Trump is clearly worse for America than Hillary would be. Trump wants to build the next Great Wall of America, go all out war with ISIS, put women back in the kitchen where they belong, and to hell with everyone who's not rich and white.

Hillary actually won the popular vote, by 200,000. Add in the 4-5 million wasted votes for other candidates, and Hillary would have won for sure. A house divided shall not stand.

EDIT
I wonder where we'd be if the 62 million eligible voters who aren't registered to vote would have gotten off their lazy ass and voted.

ks

I would prefer a suspect character with skill rather than a suspect character with a double digit IQ coupled with a constellation of psychiatric illnesses. The former can maintain the status quo - 4 years - until you do better.

A supreme court with potentially 3 openings (total) in the coming years plus wingnuts throughout the cabinet - good luck.

Elias

Johan: I apologize if my new home country spoiled your birthday celebrations :-[

type568

Hmm. I wouldn't say I like Trump, although anyone who has actually built a billion dollars worth fortune deserves my respect. However, I certainly dislike Clinton, because she's the avatar of establishment which keeps messing up repeatedly after winning the cold war.

Now about wiping ISIS, ISIS isn't the problem. Should use decide it doesn't need the mess & quit supporting "moderate" opposition all the mess will die itself(or rather under Russian bombs & Syrian army). Another thing is that the establishment destabilizes various regions because they aren't democratic(while supporting other non democratic regions), which well.. Brings things to what they are now. No way there would be Iraqi ISIS under Hussein.

So, the farther from the establishment the better. :]

Specter Phoenix

Hillary actually won the popular vote, by 200,000. Add in the 4-5 million wasted votes for other candidates, and Hillary would have won for sure. A house divided shall not stand.

That is assuming majority of the 4-5 million would have voted for Hillary.

As I stated, I was unable to vote, but I would have voted for Johnson if I had.

I already was weary of Hillary due to her 2005 campaign to get legislation in place to fine retailers for kids having violent games. ESRB was in place and if kids were playing them it was likely because their parents bought them the game. The legislation didn't pass, but it always felt like she was trying to take the blame off the parents and put it on the retailers.

Her lying on the emails made me weary about her and the FBI because one of our Generals is facing jail time for revealing classified information for a book, but she endangered national security and was let off the hook.

Then Obama claimed she had gone all over the nation fighting for making all children get the same education. Guess she missed my son's school because we are constantly fighting them as he is in 5th grade, but we spend every year fighting them because they are only giving him the equivalent of 2nd grade education because they have him considered as special education

Since I don't trust Trump either I was going with Johnson.

I didn't want to vote for Trump or Clinton to the point that I joked I was going to write in this duo:
{"name":"lmE9Upq.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/74112cf9a73f09d170f0279f90385b62.png","w":800,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/4\/74112cf9a73f09d170f0279f90385b62"}lmE9Upq.png

bamccaig

This probably makes better sense here, but I digress.

Felix-The-Ghost

I still say allegro.cc needs an official :laughing: emoticon.

:D will have to do :D

bamccaig

Random, but interesting:

video

video

I don't know much about Putin, or Russia for that matter, or that area of the world. But it sounds pretty genuine to me. And it seems to align with what I know of world politics (admittedly little, but perhaps more than most).

Derezo

This whole thing just seems wrong... it should be Bernie Sanders victory speech and tears of joy, not this... :'(

Specter Phoenix
bamccaig

video

facepalm

Specter Phoenix

This was emailed to me...I'm going to file it under poor attempt at humor because apparently gamers helped make Trump win :D.
http://archive.is/V4ePC

As for us creating Bin Laden, that is known to most Americans, but historians try to rewrite it so that new generations don't know that happened. The rest of the video was also known, that is why she lost because most knows she is bad about lying. I don't think either Clinton nor Trump are prepared for the job.

The guy behind Fahrenheit 9/11 in March said she was for war and regime change, but then on election day praised her and celebrated voting for her. Not someone I can vote for if they support war.

Bob Keane

I envy the illegal aliens who will be deported next year. They will be laughing at us when Trump shoots off his mouth and starts a war. And the servicemen who die will get no respect because they are not "heroes".

Specter Phoenix

He isn't the first candidate to use fear and anger to win an election and he won't be the last. Fact is I'll be surprised if he actually does any of the things he claimed.

It did result in this "call to arms" video, has nice buzzwords in it:

video

bamccaig

The servicemen already get no respect because they're puppets being wielded by the rich and powerful, but it sounded like Hillary was just as likely, if not more likely, to start a war anyway (in fact, it sounds a bit like Hillary was going to start WWIII). ::)

What I got a kick out of is that everybody seemed to cite the "wall" as evidenced that Trump is a bigot. But really, a wall would practically only prevent entry from Canada and Mexico (and possibly from the Pacific and Atlantic, but good luck I guess getting to one without significant resources anyway; let alone legally). Let's ignore the fact that most immigrants not from Mexico or generically Central America probably arrive on an airplane. All that I heard him say in regards to a wall was a Southern wall to keep out the Mexicans. To be fair, there's already a goddamn fence. It just doesn't seem to be working very well. A "great" wall would just be improving the reliability of said existing barrier. That's not really racist. Perhaps just common sense.

I see that Anita took no hesitation in trying to capitalize on the election (I guess she probably had to rewrite the script though). "Waaaaah, we lost, therefore, patriarchy." Nevermind that approximately half, if not more than half, of those voters were women. :P And if you include non-white races and the LGBT community it was almost certainly significantly more than half being non-white, non-"cis-gendered", or non-males.

Specter Phoenix

The wall that is in place right now has gaps in it where they can go across, but they are in desert areas and aren't safe to get to. As you pointed out, there have been studies that show a lot of illegal immigrants are from over staying visas, but I believe it is less than 50%. I think the PEW Center says it is 52% are Mexicans in 2014, but has been going down in recent years.

Matthew Leverton

Bragging about purposefully entering women's dressing rooms to see them naked, and habitually sexually assaulting women because you are famous, and then later dismissing it as "locker room talk" is really all you need to know about Trump. The politics here are irrelevant.

It breaks my heart to know that my daughter is living in a world that is ruled by such evil men who are elected by a group of people who are at best just so apathetic to not even care.

Vanneto

When Trump won, all I could think of was "grab em' by the pussy". I just imagined him at his inauguration and at the end of his speech he'd just go "and remember folks: grab em' by the pussy". Cracks me up.

GG America, regroup in four years and try again.

bamccaig

Bragging about purposefully entering women's dressing rooms to see them naked, and habitually sexually assaulting women because you are famous, and then later dismissing it as "locker room talk" is really all you need to know about Trump. The politics here are irrelevant.

I'm afraid most of us don't follow American politics closely enough to see everything each candidate has ever said. Link please?

Specter Phoenix

At least that is a legit reason to be concerned. He is a piece of shit, but he was just being honest about how celebrities are viewed in this nation. Look at Charlie Sheen during the 80s and 90s, for every woman pressing charges for sexual assault, he had 3 or 4 bragging about him doing it to them. What message does it send your daughter when a regular Joe like you or me is put in jail for DUI, but celebs like Shia LeBeouf or even Sheen get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist? Even some of the former pageant contestants said it was common place for the owners of pageants to come back in the dressing room while they were changing. So not only does it show Trump isn't the only one that does it, but it also shows how backwards the country is that a lot of the women participating think that is perfectly normal.

Then you have the other end of the spectrum for fear, people that identify as social justice warriors are stressing because they think Trump will have the power to make women go back to the 1920s and only cook, clean, and stay at home to take care of the kids. Others have expressed they fear he will repeal gay marriage. They don't realize that those are things the Supreme Court have ruled on, and would block him as being Unconstitutional to Americans. My own mother-in-law is scared he will launch nukes, she literally thinks he has a red button on his desk he can just press at a whim and launch all our nukes.

People are freaking out, but need to understand that our government system doesn't give Trump as much power as they think it does.

bamccaig said:

I'm afraid most of us don't follow American politics closely enough to see everything each candidate has ever said. Link please?

It was a soundbite where he was telling a television host that because he was a celebrity he could walk up and grab a woman by the p**** and nothing would happen. Then the pageant contestants revealed he would walk into the dressing room while they were changing, which he claimed was just him checking on the models, "Part of his job as the pageant owner".

Johan Halmén
Elias said:

Johan: I apologize if my new home country spoiled your birthday celebrations

No, nothing spoiled. My wife woke my up, saying something like "Here's a pullover, a crashed DC-3 and Donald Trump. Happy birthday."

The crashed DC-3 was the main news the day I was born. What I got was a newspaper from that day. Anyway, numbers 9 and 11 seem to connect to catastrophes.

I guess it's meaningless to debate about Trump vs. Clinton. The worst thing still is that USA ended up in two candidates that 100 % of the citizens hate[1]. That's all wrong. And that's all backed up by two major parties. It's not that big difference from the Soviet system with only one party. If Clinton had won, you would have had these same rants all over the country, where people shout "Not my president!". I guess some sign maker could have manufactured those signs in advance and start selling them on Wednesday morning.

References

1. Well, 50% hate one and 50% hate the other one. You get the point.
LennyLen

I suppose at least you [America] don't have two branches of government that are at odds with one another any more, so maybe things will run smoother.

type568
Quote:

facepalm

(about the videos bamca posted)

Well, that's about why I prefer Trump over Hillary. It's not like Hillary made all the Islamic mess, but American establishment pretty much did.. AS well as many other things. Not like Trump will put it to an end, but he certainly is less of a representative for the establishment than is Clinton, who is pretty much the embodiment of the establishment.

I like the word. Establishment. And I hate the establishment itself :D

Johan Halmén

It's always easy to hate the establishment. But what is the alternative to establishment? Could we have a well organised society without an establishment? Is it possible to have an establishment which everyone loves?

Who do we vote for to be our next hate object?

ks

The US has indeed elected a vile human being.

Speculative I know, but I suspect even fewer girls and women will report harassment and abuse. Having Trump as president will further normalize sexual, physical, and verbal violence against women. These things appear to align with his personality. The layering of his policies - beliefs - bring racism and xenophobia into the mix for likely a generational effect - slowly seeping into behaviour without.

As Matthew noted, all you need look at is the starting point.

For those who missed it: Trump Access Hollywood Video

And if that's not enough, make no mistake, "Make America Great Again", at least in this incarnation (see Reagan's campaign) is code for "Make America White Again". The same is the case for the often heard, "the country is heading in the wrong direction".

type568

It's always easy to hate the establishment. But what is the alternative to establishment? Could we have a well organised society without an establishment? Is it possible to have an establishment which everyone loves?

You see, I've this problem where I live, in Russia. Though actually local establishment, after stealing in 90s, actually aligns it's own good quite closely with the good of the country. They don't need to "steal" more, they want the justice system to work & the country to be rich. That's what I want to.

As of U.S establishment, I care way less. I just want it to keep it's nose away from others. American selective cross-border justice is disgusting. At times risky(as the stronger side U.S. should be less risk tolerant, it has it all more or less as is, so it has more to lose).

raynebc

The amount of racism/sexism baiting from the left has been and will remain at insane levels for some time to come. Hillary is quite the embodiment of corrupt politics, so I shed no tears for her political downfall and potential upcoming legal problems.

Derezo
bamccaig said:

LMGTFY -- the first article combines the relevant information.

[edit]
And also, in case you missed it:

video

Specter Phoenix

Some like to over simplify why Trump won:
https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/796726309917458434

This is also making its rounds:
{"name":"Cw3DfulXcAA4vpO.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46b386c026080b44c692ea012388da03.jpg","w":621,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46b386c026080b44c692ea012388da03"}Cw3DfulXcAA4vpO.jpg
First thing in my mind is, why didn't the bus driver report it? I thought people in those jobs were legally required to report any and all attacks in their vehicles?

LennyLen

First thing in my mind is, why didn't the bus driver report it?

It would very easy to pull a knife on somebody on a bus without the driver (or anyone else) knowing, provided the victim doesn't make a scene. Sadly, in that situation, a lot of oppressed minorities don't make a scene.

Specter Phoenix
LennyLen said:

It would very easy to pull a knife on somebody on a bus without the driver (or anyone else) knowing, provided the victim doesn't make a scene. Sadly, in that situation, a lot of oppressed minorities don't make a scene.

Hadn't considered that. In my mind, I visualized some idiot standing mid isle pulling it out in plain sight. He could have done it in the seat beside her without being noticed. I'm glad to see that the police got hold of her via Twitter to try and get an investigation going.

ks

Another set of twitter posts (anecdotal, yes). Based on the campaign there is little reason to doubt much of what's posted.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656

The same occurred after the Brexit vote.

One false story: False story

Specter Phoenix

Well they did claim that anyone that voted for Trump was sexist, racist, xenophobic, bigots, etc.

Well in 2020, I think she will do as good as Jill Stein did.
{"name":"Cw8GC6WW8AAgfe_.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/e\/8ea97ed120c349409242ed8b846b9366.jpg","w":593,"h":530,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/e\/8ea97ed120c349409242ed8b846b9366"}Cw8GC6WW8AAgfe_.jpg

Mark Oates

Sometimes the people who hire you don't want your qualifications.

raynebc

Surely a video is worth a bit more than a mere claim of racism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCWLPAK9y4
Another video of the incident shows one of the thugs driving away in the victim's car while the victim's arm is in the window, dragging him away. Can't immediately find youtube tags...

Specter Phoenix

Okay this went to the extreme pretty fast....Kind of graphic:

{"name":"Cw7S0pFVQAAaSkf.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48126750857b5fd94347df412e1829a9.jpg","w":777,"h":1199,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48126750857b5fd94347df412e1829a9"}Cw7S0pFVQAAaSkf.jpg

ks

Yes, the aggression will flow in both directions. The general point is that a 'dog whistle' campaign plays into increased social unrest especially when you're the victor. In direct relation to the election acts of racism and violence will not be limited to one side. It's a strawman argument and a waste of time to think otherwise.

At this point, there simply is no surprise at the anger - lowered inhibitions from all sides - and specifically an immediate trend toward harassing Muslims and Hispanics. Perhaps in the long term the populace will become complacent, maybe once again apathetic, when they realize that their economic well-being remains largely unchanged merely tracking with competent federal management. There is no magic. What won't change is what Trump represents (by his own words).

Edgar Reynaldo

ks - I'm reposting this because this is what Trump brings out in people.

Day 1 in Trump's America

Trump made racism and sexism and bigotry "okay" again. I'm sure this is just the beginning of what is to come.

Specter Phoenix

People are letting their fear control their thinking. We are taught about the government system throughout school in the US and if they would calm down they would realize key points.
1) There have been politicians in the past that used unrest like Trump did, won, and never made any movement on the promises made during the campaign.
2) The President actually has limited power and answers to the Supreme Court. He can't do anything drastic as they will call him out on it and reverse anything that is unconstitutional.

Day 1 in Trump's America

That is the other problem. Trump's America doesn't start until January 20, 2017. Right now we are still in Obama's America. All these cases of racism, sexism, etc. fall to Obama to deal with until then.

Edgar Reynaldo

No, you're wrong. Trump's victory has empowered hatred. You're right people are afraid. They're afraid to be Muslim, Hispanic, Black, Chinese, Gay, Female, Transgender and anything else that isn't male and white.

Specter Phoenix

No, you're wrong. Trump's victory has empowered hatred. You're right people are afraid. They're afraid to be Muslim, Hispanic, Black, Chinese, Gay, Female, Transgender and anything else that isn't male and white.

Welcome to the next page in the history of the blame game. Just two years ago it was gamers being accused of empowering hatred. Before that it was white supremacists and the KKK and neo-nazis. Hatred has always been here and always will be here, the scapegoat for it just changes. Granted this scapegoat makes it damn easy to pin it on him.

Fact still remains that Day 1 of Trump's America doesn't begin until he is sworn in as President of the United States on January 20, 2017. All this hate is still under the current President's administration and falls on him to deal with.

Edgar Reynaldo

The blame falls clearly on Donald Trump. Did you even read that page ks and I linked to? I suppose you think it's just coincidence that the day after Trump wins all over America people feel free to be racist and harass people without fear of retribution. It's clear that Trump has enabled all of this behavior.

Trump may not be sworn in for a month and a half, but he is clearly the cause of this surge in outrageous and unacceptable behavior. This is what Trump has brought out in America. Whether Obama is still president or not is irrelevant. The blame rests on Trump.

Specter Phoenix

I see your point, with Trump winning the police are now corrupt by default and look the other way so I see where they no longer fear retribution for the illegal actions. One of the reports on the page proves that much. The mother that stated the police told her it was a school matter.

Edgar Reynaldo

Way to miss the point and lash back with useless hyperbole.

Specter Phoenix

It's not hyperbole..police have been known to turn blind eyes to crimes based on what President is in office. With Trump being a blatant racist, sexist, et. al. it can be assumed that nothing would come from any police intervention. That one post just proved the point as assault and battery are not a school matter. They are encouraged by Trump's views and fear no retribution because they know the police likely won't do anything.

Edgar Reynaldo

So I guess you were agreeing with me... my sarcasm detector is a little off it seems. Hardly to be unexpected with you playing Devil's advocate all this time.

ks

This unrest or hatred is on a different scale, orders of magnitude more visible and accessible - base instincts - than whatever happened with a bunch of gamers. I'm still completely clueless about the politics or social dynamic of that situation. In this case, at the very least Trump brings together the KKK and neo-nazis under the massive umbrella of President of the United States. Search for yesterday's comments by David Duke about the role played by those organizations. These groups are ever-present. What is clear and has been clear for some time is that in addition to the visible hate groups Trump has triggered or emboldened the "ordinary" who share the same views.

Millions of US citizens have been scapegoated

Blame can be assigned. We are not ruled by magic and mysticism. It's a matter of disentangling from noise consequently the fuzzy phrase "blame game" means little.

Incidentally, the police in your country have begun to adopt a role beyond their civil contract with society, in part blending with the military - see transfer of surplus military gear. Initial stages, yes. What's remarkable is that this is after crime rates dropped as a product of enacted laws, not force, and presumably increased financial security as a whole. Any argument suggesting that heavy armament is required is ludicrous given history. I imagine that the first civil contracts enacted hundreds/thousands of years ago was meant to avoid military rule. Interesting transition.

Anyway, your apolitical national police force actually interfered in the election. To indirectly answer your question, in general people are biased, and under certain circumstances that amounts to corruption.

Three hours ago from the soon to be most powerful man on the planet (source Twitter): "Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!"

bamccaig

This is amusing. A bunch of people rant on social media that they've been harassed or assaulted and the world is supposed to believe that America is burning in the streets. On the other hand, maybe the Trump haters are just following the social justice handbook and crying because they didn't get their way.

While I'm not doubting that there is hate and violence going on, it always has, and it always was. Especially in America. It's part of the goddamn culture. Trump did not create that. Trump is not responsible for it. Take responsibility for yourselves, and for fucks sake hold people accountable for their own actions. Blaming Trump for this is excusing their own actions. You're essentially apologizing for them.

That is, assuming any of this stuff is actually happening. Twitter posts are evidence of nothing, and the only video I've seen was of a white man being assaulted by several black people while getting cheered on by onlookers (although, to be fair, I haven't look for anything, and only seen what was posted here). That doesn't exactly look very good for the "oppressed" side. Way to stay classy, America.

It's actually not amusing. It's sickening. Get your shit together. You're not children. Stop acting like it.

Append:

As for the "grab her by the pussy" comment, that seems completely harmless to me. I cannot fathom why people would make such a big deal about it (assuming the video that Derezo posted was all of it).

ks

By your own admission you don't pay attention to US politics. And, as I noted above the violence will likely flow in both directions - though likely three sources. Expected. The context is very social, incorporating identify and politics. It's worth noting that after the Brexit vote the same form of hatred was directed at those not clearly British. It wasn't restricted to non-whites as, for example, Polish workers were subject to a good deal of abuse.

This simply is predictable stuff under any number of scenarios. In fact, we live in a country where historically the loss of a Stanley Cup could result in riots or a lot of damage. The loss of the game serves as a trigger where two sides often feed growing resentment for the other. What's being described here is an analogous situation where the trigger is more social, personal, with a hell of a lot of in-group-out-group dynamics. You might want to search for the phrase "dog whistle politics" then follow-up on the last 18 months in the US. The contest was alarmingly divisive.

This is not about the "oppressed". You just made that up. A democrat is the sitting president, consequently that group would not logically identify as the oppressed. However, the Trump campaign cultivated the sense that the average, right leaning citizen, has been ignored by the out-of-touch and corrupt establishment (democrats and republicans), cheated by the foreign born worker, the illegal aliens, and the near impossible to vet muslims (potential terrorists) - citizens or not. This sense of being forgotten, without a voice, has always been present (though the faces may change depending on regime), hitting fever pitch with the rise of the Tea Party. For 1.5 years Trump stoked that same pent-up resentment, further amplified fear that has been growing in the US for the last 16 years, and now he is the President Elect. It's not particularly difficult to generate (short term) predictions while subtracting confounding factors.

bamccaig

I was not referring specifically to the Democrats as "oppressed". I was referring more specifically to in this instance, black people. While they are arguably oppressed in America still, the video evidence above does not suggest it. They're apparently not afraid to gang up on an unarmed (from what I could tell) man in the street, and even be caught on camera doing it (presumably, by their own peers since the people behind the camera seemed to be cheering it on). I don't suppose an oppressed class would do this unless they were suicidal (although, I guess it could also be explained by a lack of education).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Left" or "right", "democrat" or "republican", "conservative" or "liberal". It's all completely fucking irrelevant. These are just labels and loose groupings of people that try to use tricks to get themselves into power. If you attach yourself strongly to any such label then you're just another puppet on strings. You'll be doomed to be tricked into empowering bad ideas. The political power is much bigger than a label, and regardless of which candidate gets elected the orders are likely coming from the same people: the extremely rich.

If racism exists in America today on such a large scale then shame on you. Of course, we've discussed on numerous occasions the many social issues plaguing the USA. The education system is knowingly shit compared to most of the developed world, and it seems to show in all aspects of American life. There are plenty of smart Americans, but on average? If they compare to other developed nations' citizenry then they certainly have a funny way of showing it.

Once again, none of it matters. It's smoke and mirrors. It has nothing to do with Trump. There are certainly social issues, but Trump is not responsible. They're nothing new. Fix your shit and stop making excuses.

ks

The ugliness will always be there, mostly suppressed if ignored/marginalized, perhaps the only available solution. The Trump campaign adopted a very deliberate policy to give voice and release to what should be inhibited if the goal is a functioning society. The method employed points to expected or predictable outcomes which in this case was correlated with guaranteed votes. Again, as noted above, the campaign normalized sexism and racism for a large enough subset of the population insuring social instability, at least for the short term.

The video was offense because it actually described, in personal historical terms, what is considered sexual assault.

bamccaig

The problem with "sexual assault" is that it's only assault if the receiver decides that it is. And there's a very complex bit of verbal and non-verbal communication that goes along with it. It's by no means trivial or black and white.

Many women very much do not like guys to "ask permission" to kiss or touch. They want guys to be bold. Of course, if they like the guy then all is well. If they don't like the guy it's rape. This obviously puts men in a very difficult position. It's human nature, and unfortunately I don't think there's a simple solution. The most obvious solution to me would be to ask women to overcome their nature, and simply communicate straightly. Apparently that doesn't work for them though. The uncertainty is part of the chase and part of what makes them attracted to you (and it varies woman to woman, relationship to relationship). The alternative solution is to teach women to protect themselves by avoiding situations that they don't want to be in. Obviously, having protective men around women will help to temper daring boys and help to keep things under control. Unfortunately, the modern way of thinking about it is that women don't need that. Instead, we encourage girls to take care of themselves, ignoring the fact that they simply can't.

What I distinctly remember in elementary school and high school was that the very guys that were bold and "touched" without permission were the guys that the girls liked and rewarded. The nice guys got nothing. The expression "nice guys finish last" is absolutely true. Women do not like nice guys. Certainly not young women.

This is the ultimate downfall of Feminism. It doesn't fit. It doesn't work like that. No amount of political pressure can make it work. It goes against human nature. That's why the "bad boys" are always on top. It's not very fair, but then life isn't fair.

Felix-The-Ghost

video

raynebc

More violent rioting, courtesy of the hateful, sore-loser brigade:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/us/oregon-protest-riot/index.html

But real violence supposedly pales in comparison to online posts about how people were spoken meanly to, doesn't it?

m c

what would have happened on social media if the result and people were reversed?

ks

Ray: You appear to misunderstand the relationship between citizens and government/power. It is always, without exception, caveat emptor and vigilance. There should never be a period of grace.

Derezo
bamccaig said:

The problem with "sexual assault" is that it's only assault if the receiver decides that it is.

You are correct with part of your statement -- it is only assault if the sexual contact is unwanted -- but why is that a problem? If someone doesn't want you touching their sex organs then you DO NOT have the right and they DO decide if you are sexually assaulting them, or it if it is what we call "consensual", meaning that both of you agree.

Quote:

It's by no means trivial or black and white

Sexual assault is not trivial, but there is a clear black and white quality to it. Unwanted sexual touching or language is not difficult to suppress, and if used on someone who does not want it that is assault. It's not as if they can lead you on, then you touch them, and that's sexual assault. No. If you walk up to a woman you don't know and the first thing you do is grab her by the genitals and kiss her on the mouth, you are very likely committing sexual assault.

Quote:

Many women very much do not like guys to "ask permission" to kiss or touch.

If you're sitting on a couch watching a movie with a girl, you can do subtle things that will give you queues prior to kissing and grabbing her pussy. The first thing you can do is stretch you arm out and place it around her.

If she pushes you away, DO NOT GRAB HER PUSSY!! This is sexual assault.
If she snuggles in to you, DO NOT GRAB HER PUSSY YET! Jesus christ man slow down, but you might be able to go for that kiss.

Edgar Reynaldo
bamccaig said:

While I'm not doubting that there is hate and violence going on, it always has, and it always was. Especially in America. It's part of the culture. Trump did not create that. Trump is not responsible for it. Take responsibility for yourselves, and for s sake hold people accountable for their own actions. Blaming Trump for this is excusing their own actions. You're essentially apologizing for them.

Before Trump hate was part of the culture, but never before has it been so open and care free. Trump has enabled all of this behavior. Yes the people who take part in it are responsible for their own actions, but Trump is still responsible for making everyone feel okay about committing hate crimes. Trump won the presidency, and the very next day, people are spreading hate everywhere. Muslims are afraid to wear their veils. Immigrants are afraid of being deported. Blacks are in fear of their lives. Women have lost the right to respect of their person. And this is just in the first few days after Trump has been elected. Trump has caused a sweeping change in the attitudes of people about what is okay and what is not. Trump is clearly to blame for enabling this wave of hatred. If you can't see that, you're a brain dead brain washed idiot.

bamccaig said:

As for the "grab her by the pussy" comment, that seems completely harmless to me. I cannot fathom why people would make such a big deal about it (assuming the video that Derezo posted was all of it).

That's clearly defined as sexual harassment and if he did it, it would be sexual assault. Donald Trump is a sexist, racist pig, and anyone who follows him is one too. What he said is not "completely harmless". It's not "locker talk". It's not okay. It's demeaning, intrusive, sexist, and evil. Women deserve respect, not to be treated like property or your favorite sex toy.

raynebc said:

But real violence supposedly pales in comparison to online posts about how people were spoken meanly to, doesn't it?

Of course you're right, they're just being mean. Oh wait, actually they're threatening people's lives :

How scared are u, u black bitch?
You're lucky there's witnesses or I'd shoot you right here
Black lives don't matter, and neither does your vote
Aren't you people supposed to be sitting in the back of the bus?
Yall black ppl better start picking yall slave numbers. KKK 4 Lyfe.

This is just a taste of what happened yesterday. And you're going to sit there and say they're just being mean? Like it's a fucking joke?

Vanneto

That probably happens every day, like bam said. :P Only now do you notice it because it's convenient for you.

Edgar Reynaldo

No, stuff like that doesn't happen every day. America is (was) for the most part very civil. Trump's win has started backlashes against minorities all over the country. I don't pick up on news because it' convenient for me. :P

raynebc
ks said:

There should never be a period of grace.

That doesn't mean there should be violence against civilians.

Of course you're right, they're just being mean. Oh wait, actually they're threatening people's lives

Or lots of them are fake, which wouldn't be unusual. And don't forget all the opposition calling for the death of Trump or those who voted for him.

ks

Absolutely, violence is equally deplorable on both sides. As such, as it's not a particularly valuable variable in discussions like this - there is no point, it's a given.

raynebc

And blaming Trump for all the recent unrest is likewise stupid.

Edgar Reynaldo
raynebc said:

Or lots of them are fake, which wouldn't be unusual. And don't forget all the opposition calling for the death of Trump or those who voted for him.

If you read that twitter feed, you would see there's plenty of physical evidence. Do you honestly think that there is some mass conspiracy to fake evidence against Trump? Did you see the graffiti on that man's car? Did you see the other graffiti? Do you really think people are making this stuff up? I thought you were brighter than that. Your faith in Trump and his agenda are truly disappointing. Kids chanting racist slurs and people telling native born Americans to "go back to their own country"?

raynebc said:

That doesn't mean there should be violence against civilians.

I agree, but there comes a breaking point. The KKK publically endorsed Trump because they know he's a racist. That there is a backlash from angry black people is no surprise. Again, I don't condone what the people in that video did.

raynebc said:

And blaming Trump for all the recent unrest is likewise stupid.

They're his followers. They're following his lead. The blame rests on him for inciting racism and sexism.

ks

As noted, it is often best that base instincts be suppressed. The Trump campaign unlike any other in modern day US exploited traits that are typically controlled in civilized locales. Recall McCain in a 2008 town hall meeting attempting to silence a woman accusing Obama of being Muslim. Beginning in about 2011(?) Trump deliberately adopted the opposite strategy the form of birtherism, an approach to election contests that is avoided by most politicians. There was conscious intent to exploit the darker undercurrents of thought thereby stoking xenophobia among a particular demographic. The campaign provided a vehicle for that strategy to be expanded in scope.

Trump is the catalyst.

In sequence, he stoked hatred which has now led to resistance. That is, he won on hate and may also follow-up on those promises. Democracy should be an active process.

Polybios

Alrightie, here's my prediction for the results tomorrow.

Sent from my bubble. :-/

raynebc

If you read that twitter feed, you would see there's plenty of physical evidence.

Photos of writing are not very compelling. Written slurs are often used in fake hate crimes. There was a picture of some bruises on a kid, but unless the punk that did that is reported it won't go anywhere. Is that one incident really the only physical evidence you have to present as violence from Trump supporters?

Quote:

The KKK publically endorsed Trump because they know he's a racist.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-14/ku-klux-klan-grand-dragon-will-quigg-endorses-hillary-clinton-for-president
Or are you going to be one of the people that thinks he was kidding?

Quote:

They're his followers. They're following his lead.

Trump is responsible for the violence of the anti-trump agitators? Are you sober?

Edgar Reynaldo
raynebc said:

Photos of writing are not very compelling. Written slurs are often used in fake hate crimes. There was a picture of some bruises on a kid, but unless the punk that did that is reported it won't go anywhere. Is that one incident really the only physical evidence you have to present as violence from Trump supporters?

So a man graffitied his own car with the phrase "Fuck you nigger" and "Trump" just for shits and giggles? Your disbelief is astounding.

raynebc said:

Why would a racist endorse someone who stands for women's rights and equality? It makes no sense, and neither do you.

From your source :

UsNews said:

Clinton has yet to address the unexpected new endorsement, but some analysts say Quigg's statements seem "suspect."
"Based on his past statements, it doesn’t appear highly credible that he has changed his effusive allegiance to Donald Trump,” Brian Levin, a former New York police officer who is director of the Centre for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University in San Bernardino, told the Telegraph. “The timing seems suspect. I think this is a function of not wanting to undermine the Trump campaign.”

raynebc said:

Trump is responsible for the violence of the anti-trump agitators? Are you sober?

You clearly mis-read what I said (or meant). What I mean is that the wave of hate speech and violence was spurred on by Trump's endorsement of racism.

EDIT

raynebc said:

There was a picture of some bruises on a kid, but unless the punk that did that is reported it won't go anywhere.

It WAS reported, if you had read the post you would know that. The police said it was a "school matter".

raynebc

So a man graffitied his own car

It's been seen to happen. Don't be so naive.

Quote:

Why would a racist endorse someone who stands for women's rights and equality?

Why do you think a white supremacist wouldn't support a white woman?

Quote:

What I mean is that the wave of hate speech and violence was spurred on by Trump's endorsement of racism.

I don't buy it. Enforcing immigration law is not automatically "racist."

Quote:

It WAS reported, if you had read the post you would know that.

The post did not say the mother had reported it to school authorities, the wording indicated it's outside police jurisdiction. Maybe you didn't read it as clearly and without bias as you thought you did.

Specter Phoenix
Derezo said:

Sexual assault is not trivial, but there is a clear black and white quality to it

I think he is referring to the fact that some feminist groups are trying to claim that consent can be taken back after the act. I believe it came about after this article https://archive.is/jV3gs came out where the author says:

Quote:

Put another way, you have “the right to retroactively withdraw consent” from any encounters you had, at any point in the past, that no longer feel good or safe to you.

Some feminist groups took that to mean you could withdraw consent after the fact and charge the person with rape. There was even a campaign built around that quote.

So a man graffitied his own car with the phrase "Fuck you nigger" and "Trump" just for shits and giggles? Your disbelief is astounding.

Even I questioned that video as it appears the 'vandals' used the car chalk that washes off, the same grease chalk that used car dealers get to write the price on the windshield. The vandals wanted to strike fear in him, but at least were nice enough to use something he could wash off. So if it is true vandalism, I'm glad to see there are some considerate ones. The second thing that jumps out about that particular video is that it is a nice car, and he walks through an empty one car garage with the car sitting right at the edge of the door so why wasn't it parked in the garage? Upon looking at it again I just realized he appears to live in a nice neighborhood, can't tell for sure if it is duplexes or not though, thought it was, but I could be wrong.

Edgar Reynaldo
raynebc said:

It's been seen to happen. Don't be so naive.

What's the motivation? Attention? I don't buy it. What does he get out of graffitiing his own car? Nothing. The only one who is naive is you.

raynebc said:

Why do you think a white supremacist wouldn't support a white woman?

Because she supports immigration policies that a KKK member would never support.

Did you see David Duke's tweet about how Trump's victory was "A great win for our people"?. They know he's racist and so do you. Stop hiding behind your party and look the devil in the eye. He's feeding you lies.

raynebc said:

I don't buy it. Enforcing immigration law is not automatically "racist."

Building the next "Great Wall of America" to keep Mexicans out is not racist? Calling them all rapists and murderers is not racist? Wake up and smell the shit on your lawn. Calling all Muslim like people terrorists is not racist? Just who do you think you're kidding?

raynebc said:

The post did not say the mother had reported it to school authorities, the wording indicated it's outside police jurisdiction. Maybe you didn't read it as clearly and without bias as you thought you did.

The tweet clearly says the police told her it was a school matter. Since when is assault and battery a school matter? It's an issue for police. Who's reading with bias now?

You're so blind to Trump's propaganda you're giving KKK members the benefit of the doubt, and casting suspicion on honest people just trying to live their lives without being harassed and assaulted.

Even I questioned that video as it appears the 'vandals' used the car chalk that washes off, the same grease chalk that used car dealers get to write the price on the windshield. The vandals wanted to strike fear in him, but at least were nice enough to use something he could wash off. So if it is true vandalism, I'm glad to see there are some considerate ones. The second thing that jumps out about that particular video is that it is a nice car, and he walks through an empty one car garage with the car sitting right at the edge of the door so why wasn't it parked in the garage? Upon looking at it again I just realized he appears to live in a nice neighborhood, can't tell for sure if it is duplexes or not though, thought it was, but I could be wrong.

What does it matter how they did it? What does it matter that it is a nice car? What does it matter that he's in a "nice" neighborhood? None of that matters at all. What matters is that it happened, and he has absolutely zero reason to do it to himself.

Derezo

Some feminist groups took that to mean you could withdraw consent after the fact and charge the person with rape. There was even a campaign built around that quote.

The hypothetical that Trump was proposing did not involve any consent. He basically describes greeting them with a kiss and a pussy grab -- black and white type of sexual assault.

type568

And here the hate has to to A.cc :P
I must point out the anti-Trump side seems to be way less cold blooded, to name it in a delicate manner :D

Edgar Reynaldo

You wanna know what Trump discussed in his meeting with President Obama today?

New York Times said:

Mr. Trump has called human caused climate change a "hoax". He has vowed to dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency "in almost every form".
Mr. Trump has already vowed to "cancel" last year's Paris climate agreement, which commits more than 190 countries to reduce their emissions of planet-warming carbon dioxide pollution, and to dismantle the Clean Power Plan, Mr. Obama's domestic climate change regulations.

Say goodbye to clean air. Say goodbye to the environment. Say goodbye to science. Say goodbye to freedom. Say hello to your next President, Donald Trump, champion of the rich white establishment you thought he was going to change.

Mark Oates

Hey guys, I just farted.

Erin Maus

video

Unrelated bonus:

video

(Well, it's maybe related if you consider Trump's views on oil and climate.)

bamccaig

Just to point out the flaws in your arguments, you're basically arguing that Trump is terrible and therefore the country should have voted for Clinton (mind you, with the bullshit election system in place maybe they did and Trump was elected anyway). The point is, if Clinton was such a good candidate then prove it. Show us what would have been different. Show us the evidence of that. Trump may well be terrible. That has yet to be seen. I have never really liked him. You could say I hated him. And at first I was pretty much against him for president. But the problem is the alternative was no better, and was arguably worse. Fix your goddamn electorate system and maybe every election won't be such a fraud. In any case, it still remains to be seen what Trump will do. The bullshit about "grab her by the pussy" is completely meaningless to me. That's not harmful. That's powerful. The shit that scares me is the anti-climate change shit. Or that sort of stuff. But I absolutely know that Clinton would have gone in the same direction too so I don't think anything was lost on Trump in that respect. As with all American elections for the past several decades, there was never a good candidate, and the American people get so wrapped up in choosing sides that they don't realize they were going to get fucked, and worse, fuck the entire planet, no matter what.

Edgar Reynaldo

Nice guys. Way to trivialize the most important election in U.S. History.

EDIT

bamccaig said:

But I absolutely know that Clinton would have gone in the same direction too so I don't think anything was lost on Trump in that respect.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Trump is prepared to rape the environment, and Clinton would have preserved it. You're absolutely mental.

bamccaig

Way to sensationalize just another election in U.S. History. ::)

Specter Phoenix

What does it matter how they did it? What does it matter that it is a nice car? What does it matter that he's in a "nice" neighborhood? None of that matters at all. What matters is that it happened, and he has absolutely zero reason to do it to himself.

The point I was trying to make is that vandals typically vandalize with the intent to destroy public or private property. Using a washable item to deface his car is untypical of vandals which would imply they knew him and knew how much he cared about his car. Still strange to have a garage and not park your car in it, but that is a personal choice. Whereas vandals in my town spray painted swastikas and kkk on one of our walking trails requiring city road crews to go out and spray paint over them with darker colors to cover them up.

Derezo said:

The hypothetical that Trump was proposing did not involve any consent.

His hypothetical is also common place for celebrities like I said. You can find many articles covering male and female celebrities who did horrible things, but got off because of their celeb status. Even being rich can get you off from a crime apparently as the kid that got drunk, drove and ended up killing two people and paralyzing a friend when he wrecked got off because "his parents were rich and he didn't know difference between right and wrong." He only go in trouble again after he was caught drinking at a party and fled the states with his mom. Trump is horrible, but fact is that the rich and celebs get away with things you and me would be put in prison for.

Hey guys, I just farted.

You have something in common with Megan Fox [Transformers, Ninja Turtles] as she admitted to one magazine that she loves farting and how they smell like what you eat. I have never viewed her movies the same again.

Edgar Reynaldo

It's funny bamccaig. You think this shit is all a joke, but Trump's gonna destroy the environment you find so "important".

Specter Phoenix

This is all just fringe assholes being pricks and pearl clutching reactions. Trump has already revealed his hand several times that he isn't going to build a wall and just recently made it sound like he has no intention of repealing Obamacare (which doesn't affect me as my state had something in place for us before it launched). Well, more accurate to say he stated he is willing to keep parts of the Obama Health Care act.

bamccaig

It's funny bamccaig. You think this shit is all a joke, but Trump's gonna destroy the environment you find so "important".

The American electorate system is a joke, but the power she wields over the entire planet is certainly not. I'm a Canadian. My vote doesn't even count in my own country, let alone yours. I didn't elect Trump. I didn't even have much to say about it until after the election. What I do know is that I don't like or trust Hillary. I don't find her competent. I find her a snake doing others' bidding. I like that Trump spoke his mind. I don't necessarily agree with what he said, but I like that he wasn't afraid to speak it. That alone is probably an improvement. That doesn't mean he'll be good for the country or the world, but I repeat: neither was Hillary. Fix your electorate system and maybe the next go around you'll be able to empower somebody worth empowering. For that matter, maybe by then, I can too. In the meantime, stop blaming other people for things they aren't responsible for. America has been out of control long before Trump was elected. I highly doubt that he'd be able to "build a wall" or deport, imprison, or murder immigrants. He certainly won't have the power to reverse the political power of Feminism in the USA or the Western world. We can only hope that he has the power to push back and maybe get things closer to balanced. It all remains to be seen, and acting like the sky is falling because he won the election is a little bit Social Justice Warrior, if you ask me. Breathe in. Look around you. Are you being shot at? Is anybody banging loudly on your door and shouting? Is the building on fire? Phew, maybe you'll make it after all.

Edgar Reynaldo
bamccaig said:

What I do know is that I don't like or trust Hillary. I don't find her competent. I find her a snake doing others' bidding.

Based on what evidence? The FBI has repeatedly investigated her emails, and found no wrong doing whatsoever. All you have against Hillary are allegations and a general sense of mistrust. What we have with Trump is facts, proven facts about his behavior and his viewpoints and what he intends to do with the country now that he's going to become President.

bamccaig said:

In the meantime, stop blaming other people for things they aren't responsible for. America has been out of control long before Trump was elected.

Trump is responsible for his own behavior and for enabling the actions of other like minded bigots like him. America hasn't been "out of control", in fact America has been largely civil and stable under President Barack Obama, and now Trump is going to undermine everything people in this country have been fighting so hard for all this time. Trump is going to set us back 100 years, to the time of segregation, hatred, sexism, environmental abuse, and whatever else he can dream of.

bamccaig said:

I highly doubt that he'd be able to "build a wall" or deport, imprison, or murder immigrants.

It remains to be seen whether he'll be able to do it, but it is still his intention, and I have no doubt he will work towards those ends.

bamccaig said:

It all remains to be seen, and acting like the sky is falling because he won the election is a little bit Social Justice Warrior, if you ask me. Breathe in. Look around you. Are you being shot at? Is anybody banging loudly on your door and shouting? Is the building on fire? Phew, maybe you'll make it after all.

Acting like everything's okay is what is ignorant here. Invite the devil to dinner and what do you expect him to do but be himself? Luckily I'm in a safe part of the country. Luckily I'm not an ethnic minority. Because Trump and his supporters are going to make life a living hell for them. Racism is okay again. Sexism is okay again. Rape and bigotry and xenophobia are okay again. And Trump has enabled it all. His victory is our loss.

Matthew Leverton

I don't think people are anti-Trump because they love Clinton. In any other election, I would have delighted to see an establishment candidate lose in a shocking manner to an underdog -- especially Clinton.

But I wouldn't expect someone like bambam to get it. He has been one to proudly declare and defend sexist views here. I don't know why you'd bother arguing with him. What I find shameful and embarrassing is that the majority of Americans are also that way or simply don't care enough and look the other way in this odd anybody-but-Clinton fetish.

The amount of victim blaming that goes on to justify ignoring the issues so these morally righteous Trump supporters can sleep at night is impressive. Trump is somebody who I wouldn't, as a person, want to be my neighbor, my daughter's teacher or employer, and sure-as-hell-not anybody's President.

Thread #616580. Printed from Allegro.cc