Dell Dimension 4600 Drivers
Michael Jensen

I'm reinstalling windows on a Dell 4600 (new hard drive, and the old install had issues anyway...) but I'm hitting a wall... I've been thru all of the driver discs and can't find the last few drivers.

I've installed the Sound Blaster card's drivers (and they're working and show up as working in the device manager) but it still says there is a "Multimedia Audio Controller" in unknown devices... I'm not sure what it is. The modem and network card are working...

Also the last driver to be installed is something calling itself "SM Bus Controller" -- I can't find info for these on dell's site, and I'm not even sure what the heck they are.

Any one else have this machine and might know what the devices really are or where I can find the drivers for them? thx.

-- Also, is it just me or would adding a unique ID (128-bit perhaps) to each new PCI card (or anything that needed drivers), and having a global online database for drivers be an awesome idea?

John Locke

I just go here http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen select my model and it gives a list of drivers for that specific model and everything works, if you give your dell serial code or whatever its called it will give the EXACT drivers for that model since some dell computers have the same model # but different hardware

BAF
Quote:

Also, is it just me or would adding a unique ID (128-bit perhaps) to each new PCI card (or anything that needed drivers), and having a global online database for drivers be an awesome idea?

Windows Update has drivers for most things. Just tell it to get online and search for a driver.

Michael Jensen

John: Thank you.

Baf: No, windows update doesn't -- the only driver it found on the particular computer was the generic nvidia and sound blaster drivers (which worked, but I mean... that's pretty pathetic...)

Thread #587511. Printed from Allegro.cc